Thread: The Uprising

The Lost Writer The Uprising Psiko's Avatar

The Uprising

Fifteen years ago peace and prosperity reigned due to the Council of the Seven Kingdoms. This council worked together to look out for the interests of everyone equally, providing protection from roving bands of barbarians and encouraging reasonable trade between borders. Six of these kingdoms were completely committed to ensuring the longevity of peace and were satisfied with the equality of power. One kingdom, along the northern coasts, worked in secret to usurp the council and gain sole authority over the entire continent.

Delving into the dark arts of Necromancy, Blood Magic, and other occult forms of spellcasting, the kingdom formed an army of undead and demons. They moved swiftly at night, taking all six kingdoms down from within because security was lax in the time of peace. Within one day the Council of the Seven Kingdoms was overthrown and Bargolf proclaimed himself High King of the land. His army of undead and his devoted followers have ruled ever since, crushing the opposition as it begins to rise. Cutthroats and common thieves have thrived and merchants charge outlandish prices for even the most basic goods. Poverty and oppression has overwhelmed the land within fifteen years.

There are still a few spread throughout the kingdoms that cling to hope that someone will rise to overthrow Bargolf and bring peace and prosperity back to the land. Masters of outlawed techniques are taking on apprentices in secret, training a new generation of warriors to strike back at Bargolf.

----------------------

Hopefully this background information seems to make an interesting enough setting. This RP is open to anyone to join as long as you make good contributing posts. I’m not worried about length as much as I am about quality. I’d like to really flesh out this story because I want this to spin off into a direction of writing a novel someday. I figure holding an RP will bring more depth to the idea, and look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Basically I’m thinking that we would be some of these apprentices that are being trained in the outlawed techniques, but feel free to approach something different if you prefer. As far as the ancient techniques go, I was thinking along the lines of the “job systems” present in a lot of Final Fantasy games, so there would be a sort of Black Mage and a White Mage and a Warrior and a Rogue, etc. Use your imagination, but try to keep things reasonable. Please sign up with a character bio if you are interested!

Re: The Uprising

So for a char sheet how much stuff are you looking for? Either way I'm not going to let something like this drop down into the depths of dead thread-ness (At least not without giving it a shot first). Anyways I might add more and flesh stuff out in a day or two. Unless things are fine as is and I'll just leave it.

Name: Edmund Ballast

Looks: One can easily tell Edmund is a fisherman. Usually wearing loose, open shirts, pants or shorts. Being out on the sea has roughed him up somewhat and his hands are quite dry from sea salt. His skin varies from a deep tan to splotchy sunburns on occasion. Consequently has ocean blue eyes with varying hues depending on the lighting. His long hair use to get matted quite easily with the seasalt drying in it so he sports dreads which shorten the length of his hair a tad bit. The thick dreads only come a bit past his jawline.

Ancient Technique (Job Class): Lancer/Dragoon

Background: Edmund grew up in the coastal kingdom of Kininiccea (If I'm overstepping with the kingdom name and whatnot let me know Psiko). Edmund from a young age loved the coast and everything it entailed: the fish, coral, sand, and shells. Despite his father's dream of Edmund falling for the love of trade and learning the ropes of the family business Edmund was drawn to fishing. In the coastal town of Aggripa where he grew up many men travelled to be taught the incredible spearfishing technique of one G'Wain. Rumours of G'wain's past always hovered from the mouths of sailors and the like and easily ensnared the young Edmund. It actually took weeks of silly pleas and displays of Edmund's rather unique and lacking skill of fishing to break down G'wain and convince the old man to teach Edmund.

Needless to say many were suprised by G'wain's choice in an apprentice or the fact he took anyone under his wing to teach at all. No one really understood what G'wain saw in the young Edmund but nonetheless Edmund began training in G'wain's unique art of spearfishing. It was only a year or two after Edmund became G'wain's apprentice that Bargolf proclaimed himself High King. Edmund seemingly was swept away by the rapid unfolding of events and soon found himself travelling in a small fishing vessel with G'wain. The two of them managed to live quite easily along the shores of various islands and coasts with Edmund furthering developing his skills. Then in some sick twist of fate off the shore of the mainland G'Wain and Edmund encountered it one of Bargolf's necromancy experiments: a zombiefied sea serpent. The beast destroyed the vessel and left them in the shallow water. Edmund was awestruck and afraid, frozen. G'wain's words telling him to escape were the last thing Edmund heard before seeing the beast devour his mentor.

Vowing to one day slay the beast Edmund wanders the land trying to survive.
    Last edited by Imposter; 10-15-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    EBG

The Mad God The Uprising Heartless Angel's Avatar

Always up for an RP. I'll start with the same profile template Atma used, if you want anything more, just let me know.

Name: Abaddon of the Black Sky

Looks: Though known to have served Bargolf since before he usurped the council, he appears just barely old enough to know of those events. Sustained by dark arts, he has halted his body's aging, and looks as young and full of life now as he did half a century ago. He has long black hair, and a short beard. His eyes glow an unnatural red. He stands about 6'2", with a moderately muscular build. He can usually be seen in a suit of blackened armor forged from an unknown metal. It is said to almost glow when moonlight shines on it. Outside of combat, he rarely wears either the chestpiece or helmet, but always wears his boots and greaves. The armor is decorated with skulls of platinum with ruby eyes adding to his menacing appearance.

Ancient Technique (Job Class): Hellblade, a warrior practiced in various dark arts, including blood magics and necromancy. It also effectively combines dark energies with close combat to unleash devestating melee strikes with increased damage and reach at the cost of the user's life force.

Background: He served alongside Bargolf during his campaign to overthrow the rest of the council as one of his Hellblades, elite dark warriors sworn to serve for eternity and beyond. Of the renowned and feared Hellblades, Abaddon is said to be the most fierce and merciless of all. It is said that during the war, he singlehandedly assaulted one of the more distant kingdoms as a diversion, and slaughtered every living thing in it. Since Bargolf seized control, his job has been oppression. This includes public torture and execution of 'criminals', usually meaning anybody foolish enough to speak or act out against the King; searching for and punishing dissidents outside the kingdom, putting down any and all rebellion with his terrible power, and otherwise ensuring Bargolf's reign of terror continues for all time. At least that is what Bargolf believes. The only thing Abaddon is loyal to is himself, and he plots to overthrow his King and take his place.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Character sheets look great from both of you. I'm not much to expect a lot up front; I'd rather see things become fleshed out throughout the story. And I didn't name the kingdoms simply because they don't have names yet, so by all means name anything you want to.

Name: Edwin Thorain

Looks: His muscular frame is usually covered by a coat of thick armor. He is as agile and as swift as a person wearing a full coat of armor could be expected to be, and takes pride in polishing it to a high gleam every week. He carries a thick shield and a long sword at all times, both of which have become battle hardened over time. The most striking thing about his appearance is that his weapon and his armor are pearl white instead of silver.

Ancient Technique (Job Class): Paladin

Background: Edwin spent half of his adolescence without parents. He was forced to hide beneath the floorboards when a swarm of Bargolf's undead raided their house. They found his parents and his younger sister, leaving Edwin alone and thirsting to avenge his loved ones.

He traveled the seven kingdoms for several years, refining his swordsmanship on the seemingly endless undead. One day he was overwhelmed when a second swarm appeared. He was saved by the appearance of a knight in full armor who obliterated the undead in flashes of bright light. He was baffled by how this knight managed to wipe out the undead in such numbers, and was even more surprised when he learned the knight was a woman.

Celeste took him as an apprentice and taught him the ways of a paladin. He learned to cast simple healing magic and some holy magic that works best on the undead. He was trained to defend others and to uphold the highest virtues in life. But his thirst for revenge still rages inside...

So how many you looking for before starting? The rp section hasn't really been fruitful lately.
    EBG

I think one more would be nice, but it may turn out that we'll have to add others as things progress. I'll work on hammering out the intro post sometime this week and get things going. Never fear, I won't willingly let this thing die off...

The Mad God The Uprising Heartless Angel's Avatar

Wow, I had not planned for my first post to be so long lol. Just started typing and realized at the end just how long it was.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Princess Sugarsprinkles Quistis's Avatar

This sounds interesting. Mind if I join?

(Dunno if you guys still remember me lol)