Thread: The Sleepers

The Mad God The Sleepers Heartless Angel's Avatar

The Sleepers

The Sleepers

Each Reality is but the Dream of Another, and each Sleeper, a God Unknowing.

~unknown~

Overview: Alright then, this will be my first Roleplay on this site, so bear with me here. From what I’m seeing just glancing at a few threads, it looks like a lot of these are just pretty much ‘jump in and start writing’ (I culd be wrong of course, I’ve been here for less than an hour <.<). I don’t run roleplays that way, gets far to confusing for me to keep up with multiple players if I don’t have some kind of character profile to go by. So, below I’ll explain some basic information about the world this will be taking place in, and the things I’ll need to know about your character.

Setting:This Roleplay shall be a bit different than others I’ve made (though I don’t expect anyone here to know this, since this is the first I’ll be posting here)… as it shall take place in not one, but two separate worlds. The real world, and another reality, created from dreams. All dreams. A simple way to think of this, is like an online game. Though you may associate with people in the dream world, you may never know who or what they are when conscious. The real world setting is the time equivalent to our 21st century. Though knowledge has come almost as far, technology is far, far behind; because of a creature known as Illuminatus. Illuminatus is a creature that exists between the two worlds. It emits bizarre energy waves that disrupt the flow of electricity, which, as a result was never discovered, leaving very little to be done with technology, at least in the real world. Small villages sprout up all over the world, and usually never grow enough to become cities. Since people can live fulfilling lives in Dreams, few bother to work to do any more than survive reality. Some simple technology does exist though, most of it runs on a form of magic generated by the intersection of reality and the realm of Dreams. Few possess the power to harness this magic, but certain materials conduct it, making them ideal for these technologies. Among them are, crystals which record human thoughts as audio and visual data, basically a video camera that records what its user thinks about. Also, screens that can show what large numbers of people are seeing and hearing, a bit like a television that only shows live events that many people are witnessing, or a few with exceptionally strong thoughts. Another has been implemented in place of the never-created light bulb; a strange glass-like substance which glows when consciousness is near. There is more to tell of this world, but we’ll leave that for later.

Sleepers
    Sleepers are people who can sleep, dream, and exist in the Dream World. Everyone is a sleeper in some way shape or form. Though some can’t remember their own dreams, most people alive today are fairly strong dreamers. There are several ‘ranks’ of Sleepers if you will. Each level of power increases a person influence in the Dream world. Below are explanations of each.

Level 1 Sleepers: They can enter the dream world in their sleep, and are free to roam that world, yet they rarely remember anything of it, much like humans and dreams, we can only remember a few of them. Very few are this weak in this day and age.

Level 2 Sleepers: They have little influence in the world, but are capable of fully experiencing it, and will remember it when awake. This is a fairly uncommon class.

Level 3 Sleepers: They have limited power in the dream world, in addition to all abilities of a lesser level. They can reinvent themselves in a new form, projecting themselves as a different person entirely in the dream world. This is the most common class.

Level 4 Sleepers: They also have powers within dreams; they can grow, and become better in this world than the real one. This class is capable of growing into a higher one.

Thought-twisters: These are people with much influence in the world of dreams. These people have shaped the majority of the world, though not fully in control of what their thoughts create. They are typically very strong when in this world. These are certainly uncommon, but not really RARE.

Thoughtmasters – These are absurdly powerful dreamers. These people can freely create by mere thought. They however can’t reshape the dreams of others. These are all but unheard of. It is estimated, that at any given time, there are fewer than 10 Thoughtmasters in existence.

Nightmares: Some dreamers unleash their darker selves in their sleep… these people are the equivalent of Thought-twisters, though their power is not creation, but destruction. And through sub-conscious desires, have the means to destroy. These are much rarer than their Thought-twister counterparts. They usually do not take completely human form in the Dream world…

Night-Terrors: These are the equivalent of Thoughtmasters, they can freely erase the dreams of others, though not without a fight. To truly erase a dream, one must defeat its dreamer. Most of the time, there is not a single entity in the Dream World with this power. These generally take the shape of a demon.

Dreamweaver: A Dreamweaver is the ultimate dreamer. Most people bearing this power are unaware they do. As they can freely create, destroy, or alter the dreams around them, even with sub-conscious thoughts. Most Dreamweavers are too pure of thought to try these things intentionally. If one were to arise with evil intentions however… only the Illuminatus could hope to stop them.

Dream Classes

In the dream world, one lives out their fantasies. There are however several nightmarish creatures roaming the world, that are set free by dark thoughts of those entering the world. Because of this, most people capable of becoming more in their sleep than they are when awake, become warriors of some kind. These classes are totally unlimited, as in dreams, anything is possible. Some may take the shape of medieval knights, while others run around with light-sabers. All classes are custom, explain it if it isn’t obvious what you’ve chosen does.

Character Creation
    Now, the most important part of an RP, how to join. Simply fill out this character template and I’ll either approve the profile, or tell you what needs to be changed for me to accept it. Once accepted, you can jump in and start writing.

Name: Fairly self explanatory... I hope...

Dream-Name: Some have different names in the dream world. Others don’t. You must be at least a Class 3 dreamer to play a different role in your dreams than you do in ‘real life’.

Dream Age: It can only be different if you are a Class 3 Dreamer or better.

Dreamer Class: Choose one mentioned above.

Dream-Race: Choose only if you’re a class 3 Dreamer of better. Again, anything is possible, just don’t get stupid with this freedom… (hopefully I won’t need to leave warnings like this here, I’m used to forums full of bad Roleplayers)

Dream-Class: Classes are defined by you, not the world. Explain what you are. Final Fantasy classes are good for guidelines.

Dream Weapon: Give it a name, describe its appearance. Make sure it fits the class, obviously an archer doesn’t have a greatsword, and a warrior doesn’t carry around a magic staff, it just doesn't make sense.

Dream Armor: Same as weapon, make it make sense.

Appearance: Describe your appearance, or post a picture.

Dream-Appearance: Clothes can change for anyone, but your physical appearance can only be different if you’re a class 3 Dreamer or better.

Personality: Explain how your character thinks and acts.

Dream Personality: Again, only if you’re a class 3 Dreamer or better cam this be different from your ‘true self’.

History: This includes the history of your real life, and dream life.

I'll wait a bit to post my own character, since double posting is generally frowned upon, and if it seems there's no interest in this, it wouldn't be worth the effort of making one now anyways. If anyone has questions/comments, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Heartless Angel; 03-02-2010 at 01:10 PM.

The Old Skool Warrior The Sleepers LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The Sleepers

There's actually an out-of-context forum that all of the setup takes place in. It's a subforum of the RP forum; I'll go ahead and transfer this thread into that location.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Blog Entries

And something else that's not really obvious...black text is really hard to see on the TFF Dark skin. Which is what a lot of people use. Default text color on Dark is white.

Most RPs are actually set up this way, with profiles and such. I suppose it's not so easy to tell since we have a very slow RP forum these days.

I'm considering a character, don't have anything solid as of now though.

It seems a bit contradictory that knowledge would be equivalent to this time period without the technology that enabled most of said knowledge to be acquired in the first place, even moreso if most people are too busy playing around in the dream world to do any actual work. I'd like to know a bit more about how society functions and what other kinds of common technology we can expect to run into. On a base level it sounds like Spira, with the Illuminatus taking Sin's role in preventing society from advancing. Without the wholesale destruction of cities and such, of course, but same general theory.

~DragonHeart~

I'm on TFF dark myself, I'll change the color to something a bit more legible then.

Yeah, after looking at this section I notice there was character templates and all for most of these, It was like 1 AM when i found the RP section right after joining, so I wasn't as observant as I could've been. I actually posted this thread in the wrong section originally, but NOW I have some idea of what I'm doing. Hopefully next time I do this it'll go a bit more smoothly.

Spira was actually exactly the type of world I was going for when I originally wrote this. I suppose I could've made a few changes to make it make a bit more sense, but I don't think quite so clearly at 1:30 AM >.<

And I actually never really though of my own creation as Sin before, interesting. I'd more thought of it as a 'good guy' though, so Sin wasn't on the top of my list of things to associate it with.

Well, thanks for comments, I aim to improve every time I do this, so any feedback is appreciated.

It's all just a joke The Sleepers Acheron's Avatar

A question just to clarify: The Dream World is the one you want, or have aimed, to be modeled off of something like Spira, correct?

No, that's the 'real' woirld. The dream world is whatever people think it is. It's shaped by thoughts of people.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Ohhhh okay, sorry for the question. For whatever reason it just wasn't getting through my head haha. I'll have a profile up by tomorrow (the 4th) night.

I'm used to explaining my RPs lol. Generally because most of the people on my other site are just too lazy to read the long posts... I'd much rather answer questions like yours lol.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries

I don't mean Sin literally, but the Illuminatus seems to have the same general effect:

Though knowledge has come almost as far, technology is far, far behind; because of a creature known as Illuminatus. Illuminatus is a creature that exists between the two worlds. It emits bizarre energy waves that disrupt the flow of electricity, which, as a result was never discovered, leaving very little to be done with technology, at least in the real world. Small villages sprout up all over the world, and usually never grow enough to become cities.
    There are several parallels. I don't mean it in a bad way, I just think it's interesting.

Still mulling over character ideas; usually I have no trouble but I'm drawing a blank right now.

~DragonHeart~

To be perfectly honest, I had trouble making a character for this at first too when I posted it on my other site, which is sad considering I wrote it... But yeah, I'm in no partiuclar hurry.

Heartless- I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get something up. I should have something up within the next few days; being a law student unfortunately does not come with loads of time haha.

Not a problem. I understand how that goes. Hell, I'm only doing general ed classes right now, and I still find a fair majority of my free time gone >.<