Thread: Gifted (Invite Only)

The joke is far too true Gifted (Invite Only) loner-kid's Avatar

Gifted (Invite Only)

This is an RP for me, raider and Unknown Entity. I may consider allowing over people to join at a later date.

Okay, first things first we'll talk about the world. It's similar to earth in that it has 4 seasons but is smaller than earth and therefore has less gravity, we aren't talking jump 20 feet here but you get the idea. The RP will begin in a heavily forested part of what I currently refer to as the third continent, It is the largest of the four continents and extends over a wide variety of climates. Because there are only three of us I think it'd be a good idea to split our characters into different parts of the continent, Raider I'd like to place you in the far North, if that's okay with you, on the demon front, I'll explain later. It would give you complete free reign on what happens to your characters, well there would be some borders but meh. Unknown I'd like to cast you as the current main female lead, but that is a character that I created and can understand If you would rather make a character yourself.

And know I move onto this continents culture. It is heavily tied to the 5 gods: Sylph goddess of wind, Ifryn god of fire, Elesra goddess of water, Bronx god of earth, and Kryn the two faced god of life and death. The gods are all linked to the magic of their element which technically makes all mages priests. As the gods are beings of pure energy they cannot truly inhabit the physical realm and thus the majority of communication is done through dreams. Naturally a god will not commune with just anyone, it is usually restricted to the top ten mages of their affinity although the gods have been known to take interests in some individuals for no disernable reason. The gods choose the affinity, magical element, of every new child that enters the world, you could liken the process to a form of betting game where everyone starts with the same cards but how and when the cards are played is up to the god. The reason for such a process is that every mage has a different magical strength or power level making them more desirable to the gods. Okay I realise that talking about the gods doesn't really count as culture but in my opinion culture is a mixture of belief and history.

So we move onto history more specifically what and why the demon front exists (told you I'd explain) The demon front is a border that stretches from one coast to the other, it is a defensive formation that is manned by soldiers from all over the continent. The name is self explanatory but I'm going to say it anyway, the demon front was made to halt the demon armies. And now to explain why there are demon armies running amock, I never really fleshed this out but basicly, city + idiotic people who think summoning demons is a good idea = stable demon gate in city. Heh heh, most of the story I made doesn't focus on that area. The gods introduce a new variable into the human gene pool to combat the demons, a gifted, a god marked mage with an inhuman magic level (rules of affinity still apply) throughout the age of the gifted there has only been one gifted at a time, another being born immediately after the other had died, and only once has there been a gifted who had no affinity with any element. Next post I talk about story and characters... must... sleep

I'm going to start with some characters that I already have in mind, actually I'm going to give you an odd titbit about how this world mainly uses Y's instead of I's in the context of a name. Heh.

Eryk Walyn, ages 8, and 18-20. Eryk is the 'Gifted' and the only one to ever lack an affinity, because of this it meant that he had to choose which path of magic he would follow. Someone without affinity is rare, when it does occur the major schools of magic are informed and they then decide if they wish to obtain the mage. As the gifted every school of magic wanted Eryk to join their ranks, and because of this he has a novice level of understanding in most forms of magic. At the age of 8 a mage is allowed to enter the order of their affinity, this is true for gifted as well the major difference being that a festival is held in the home town of the gifted (coincidently this is where the story will start) On the day of the festival Eryk chooses a type of magic that is seen as an abomination, it has no god, no priesthood, and is an abomination of nature (paraphrasing) reviled even more than the art of necromancy. Shape shifting. Eryk as a boy is quite and serious, he has grown up knowing few people other than tutors of magic. Through his entire childhood he only had one real friend a girl of his own age Alicia Sylgarn and they are naturally very close (Eryk and Alicia's early childhood might be brought up in a flashback) Eryk's choice resulted in the two being split apart for almost 10 years, Eryk believes that she hates him due to finding a gift that he'd given her thrown out onto the street when he came back to town to talk to her about his choice (this is a definite flashback) Eryk lives in the forest with his teacher and a pack of wolves who have obtained sentience through continued contact with Eryk's power

Alicia Sylgarn, ages 8, and 18-20 was born three months after Eryk and has an affinity for wind, but she abandoned her magic tutorage shortly before her 8th birthday. She believed that Eryk was dead for 10 years due to the appearance of a new gifted Jaskyll Ignit, and there has never been two gifted at once (he features in the storyline but it will be a while before we meet him) Alicia is kind and caring, she has a strong will but doesn't force it upon others. She has always felt like she abandoned Eryk and wished she could apologise.

Sedra renket, ages 20, and 30-32. Eryk's teacher she can transform into a hawk and a fox but due to a sloppy first transformation she was left barren for the rest of her life. Sedra is a side character, she doesn't feature that heavily in the plot bar the begining

There are 17 members of the wolf pack and I have only named two of them Anya and Six-toes. The wolves names vary from descriptions to proper names based solely on their age, six-toes being anya's mother. Six-toes is the alpa female of the pack and protects and trains the young.

I'd like some feed back here guys

The story is practically villainless (though I do plan for one character to temporarily become a villain) The story focuses more on the characters problems, insecurities and pain. Alica's story is one of regret, and Eryk's of loss.

The story begins when the two are 8 on the day of Eryk's selection and follows the events through their eyes. Eryk's story is followed as he escapes his room to join the festivities, instead he ends up following a hawk into the woods. The story then moves to Alicia who is at the festival with some friends. They wander around looking at the stalls and talking about Eryk's impending choice. A green finch from the wood draws their chatter to a close as it perches on Alicia's shoulder, green finches being a sign of good luck and very very rare. The small group decides to continue walking around the festival despite this odd occurance. The finch seems to understand everything being said and even manages to buys Alicia a ribbon. It is then that a large bell is tolled for the start of the gifted's selection ceremony, the finch flies away. Eryk rises onto a platform and makes his choice known by turning into a green finch.

That is just the intro to the story i'll say more later

Read some of my stuff here
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...-snippets.html

The Gargoyle
    SPOILER!!:

The gargoyle sits, solemnly, alone
    That silent man of stone
    Here, for his deeds he must atone

Beaten eyes stare blankly
    Withered arms curved and wrinkly
    Bat-like wings spread fully

For once he was a man deceitful
    His soul decored in black so hateful
    From his despair grew pain most vengeful

With his death he was deserted
    Left condemned and desecrated
    Bound to form most understated

And now he is but a statue made of stone
    Sitting all alone

Star Gaze
    SPOILER!!:
    High in the sky, blinking down on us
    We all watch the stars
    Believing, as we do
    That friends and lovers long since moved away are staring upwards too
    Remembering us as we remember them
    Smiling in the light of an unatainable star
    And even if the star was snuffed out at that very moment
    We would never know
    We just keep smiling
    And believe the star is true

My TFF Family
    (is laughably small because 'loner' turned out to be fairly accurate)
    Unknown-Entity - loner-kid's hilarious 'friend'
    Raider - my ginger brother

I've created the thread, unknown now is your time to shine

The Gargoyle
    SPOILER!!:

That silent man of stone

Sitting all alone

Star Gaze
    SPOILER!!:
    We all watch the stars
    Believing, as we do
    We would never know
    We just keep smiling

My TFF Family

Okay, i've finally finalised another part of the plot, coherently. Although I wish raider would post something about what he plans to do. Anyway back to the storylines of Eryk and Alicia, the ones my demented mind control.
    10 years has passed since the catastrophe of Eryks decision and the following political upheaval that it caused. During this time another gifted was born, Jyskll Ignit a water mage born into a long line of fire mages, naturally his childhood was...problematic. This new gifted is taken as a sign that Eryk is dead(note that this child was born seven days after Eryks choice) Where it will pick up after raider is done is totally dependent on where you want to go from Unknown, you could start in the village and explain some of what has happened to the world in the last 10 years, or you could start half dead with a broken leg fleeing from bandits (This ends up happening anyway) eventually she colapses from blood loss

The Gargoyle
    SPOILER!!:

That silent man of stone

Sitting all alone

Star Gaze
    SPOILER!!:
    We all watch the stars
    Believing, as we do
    We would never know
    We just keep smiling

My TFF Family