Thread: Sylvan Cave Question (PS1/SNES)

Let's make it rain. Sylvan Cave Question (PS1/SNES) Jonathanx221's Avatar

Angry Sylvan Cave Question (PS1/SNES)

Is there ANYTHING here worth getting? If I get turned into a toad one more f***ing time I'm going to break something.

=]

I want to play a game. Sylvan Cave Question (PS1/SNES) Zargabaath's Avatar

Re: Sylvan Cave Question (PS1/SNES)

Funnily enough I'm running through there right now - literally - in the DS version. I'm assuming since you are asking this question that this is the first time you are playing Final Fantasy IV? If my assumption is correct than there is, I would say, a good reason to go through the cave.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath View Post
    Funnily enough I'm running through there right now - literally - in the DS version. I'm assuming since you are asking this question that this is the first time you are playing Final Fantasy IV? If my assumption is correct than there is, I would say, a good reason to go through the cave.
    Well yeah, but all I read was there are a lot of chests in there, and then I ran into this house and saw
    Spoiler:
    A guy that looked like Yang, I'm assuming I'll need to get farther in the game, or find an item to heal him?

But other than that, I can wait till I'm a way higher level to be there correct?

I hate that place. What's it like on the DS version?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanx221 View Post
    Spoiler:
    A guy that looked like Yang, I'm assuming I'll need to get farther in the game, or find an item to heal him?

But other than that, I can wait till I'm a way higher level to be there correct?

I hate that place. What's it like on the DS version?
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, that be Yang. And eventually if you get a certain item you will be able to heal him.

First off, what are your levels?

But, you can go back there till when you are a higher level though you do need to
    Spoiler:
    at least attempt to talk to Yang to be able to get the certain item required to heal him

As for the DS version. It seems like it is a bit easier, strangely, but I think I am over-leveled for the area. I noticed that I haven't been troubled by "toad" as much as I strike the "Swamp Witch" (whatever the monster is called that controls the toads) and I usually kill it before it can issue any command and the frogs/toads just do nothing.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Spoiler:
    Yeah, that be Yang. And eventually if you get a certain item you will be able to heal him.

First off, what are your levels?

But, you can go back there till when you are a higher level though you do need to
    Spoiler:
    at least attempt to talk to Yang to be able to get the certain item required to heal him

As for the DS version. It seems like it is a bit easier, strangely, but I think I am over-leveled for the area. I noticed that I haven't been troubled by "toad" as much as I strike the "Swamp Witch" (whatever the monster is called that controls the toads) and I usually kill it before it can issue any command and the frogs/toads just do nothing.
    Spoiler:
    I talked to him and he said "..."

and I have troubles with the marlboro's. Heh, they're a pain, they cast like every negative spell on you, silence toad, ect. So if they get all of you, you gotta run, if possible and find a way to use a tent, or an item if you have any.... SUCKS.

Spoiler:
    I talked to him and he said "..."

and I have troubles with the marlboro's. Heh, they're a pain, they cast like every negative spell on you, silence toad, ect. So if they get all of you, you gotta run, if possible and find a way to use a tent, or an item if you have any.... SUCKS.
    You should be good then.

Surpringsly the Malboro's haven't been given me much trouble. They may occasionaly Bad Breath me but I quickly Remedy or Esuna anyone afflicted. The ghost skull enemies (I don't remember their name) with their sleep and sometimes silence, though that latter isn't that troublesome, are more annoying to me.

You should be good then.

Surpringsly the Malboro's haven't been given me much trouble. They may occasionaly Bad Breath me but I quickly Remedy or Esuna anyone afflicted. The ghost skull enemies (I don't remember their name) with their sleep and sometimes silence, though that latter isn't that troublesome, are more annoying to me.
    I forgot to say what level I was, Sorry. 50. Should I be higher? It seems most Final Fantasys when you're level 50 you're good to go through most of the game. But, I could be wrong. I'm gonna level up a whole whole lot before I finish this game, and Hopefully I'm not close at all. I just finished the cave of summons.

I do what you can't. Sylvan Cave Question (PS1/SNES) Sasquatch's Avatar

If you're lv. 50 in the Sylvan Cave, you're good to go. Here's what you do: Talk to Yang and the Sylphs around him, look around the house (through the pots and such), and leave -- there's a tile to step on that warps you out, so you don't have to walk all the way through again. Then head to Yang's hometown (remember where that is?) and talk to his wife -- she'll give you something to use on him. Go back through the cave to the building with the Sylphs in it, use it on Yang, then talk to the Sylphs again, and they'll help you out with something. After that, head back to Yang's wife, and she'll give you something else ... this item is an excellent thrown weapon for Edge.

Now, are you playing the PS1 version, or the SNES version?

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    If you're lv. 50 in the Sylvan Cave, you're good to go. Here's what you do: Talk to Yang and the Sylphs around him, look around the house (through the pots and such), and leave -- there's a tile to step on that warps you out, so you don't have to walk all the way through again. Then head to Yang's hometown (remember where that is?) and talk to his wife -- she'll give you something to use on him. Go back through the cave to the building with the Sylphs in it, use it on Yang, then talk to the Sylphs again, and they'll help you out with something. After that, head back to Yang's wife, and she'll give you something else ... this item is an excellent thrown weapon for Edge.

Now, are you playing the PS1 version, or the SNES version?
    PS1 version, but I'm already on the moon now leveling to 60, I shoulda read that before. =[

I at least have a full party now and snagged bahamut. Now I'm sticking around that cave leveling up before going back to earth. I'm not leaving till I'm at least level 60. ^_^ But yeah, when I go back I'll do all that stuff for Yang.

PS1 version, but I'm already on the moon now leveling to 60, I shoulda read that before. =[
    Oooooooh ... I'm not sure if you can get the throwing weapon (called "spoon" in FFII for the SNES, but "knife", I believe, for the PSX version) after Yang has woken up. You can try, and it'll still be worth it to talk to the Sylphs, but that little bonus of a 9999-damage throwing weapon won't be there.

I at least have a full party now and snagged bahamut. Now I'm sticking around that cave leveling up before going back to earth. I'm not leaving till I'm at least level 60. ^_^ But yeah, when I go back I'll do all that stuff for Yang.
    Bahamut's about all you'll need, for Summons. It'll do most of the damage of Meteo/Meteor, but it'll only cost 60 MP instead of 99, and it'll take a lot less time to cast. (Meteo/Meteor's nice, but it takes way too damn long.) Asura comes in handy sometimes, too. Leviathan's nice because it's ten MP less than Bahamut, and I usually only get Odin just so I have all of the Summons. Don't forget to pick all of 'em up before you head for the final battle.

Oooooooh ... I'm not sure if you can get the throwing weapon (called "spoon" in FFII for the SNES, but "knife", I believe, for the PSX version) after Yang has woken up. You can try, and it'll still be worth it to talk to the Sylphs, but that little bonus of a 9999-damage throwing weapon won't be there.

Bahamut's about all you'll need, for Summons. It'll do most of the damage of Meteo/Meteor, but it'll only cost 60 MP instead of 99, and it'll take a lot less time to cast. (Meteo/Meteor's nice, but it takes way too damn long.) Asura comes in handy sometimes, too. Leviathan's nice because it's ten MP less than Bahamut, and I usually only get Odin just so I have all of the Summons. Don't forget to pick all of 'em up before you head for the final battle.
    Yeah, here I'm gonna post pictures and you tell me if it looks like I'm ready for the final boss. I don't wanna walk all the way to him and get destroyed. Heres some pics.

This is my current party levels, And here's everyone's equipment, Cecil, Edge, Kain, Rosa and Rydia These are the summons I have so far for Rydia.

That looks pretty good ... you've got all the good stuff for everybody, and you're high enough in levels, so I'd say go for it, unless you want to wander around and level up some more. You have more than a million GP, so head over to the Hummingway cave and pick up some Ethers and Ether2s. Maybe even some Elixers, if you feel like it. If you want to level more, pick up a lot of Ethers (I think they're 10k per) and wander around the third or fourth level with the glass tile floors ... the one before the level with the weird enemies like Zemus' Breath/Soul/Etc. You'll face a lot of Faces (hah), but there will also be plenty of Red and Blue Dragons, and often they'll show up two at a time, so it's a pretty good place to level up. Or you could just go to the room where the Pink Puffs show up and try leveling there -- you won't level as fast, but you'll have the chance to get Pink Tails.

One thing I would recommend is exchanging Rydia's Minerva armor for something else ... the Minerva is nice, but she has other robes/etc. that increase her Intelligence, whereas Minerva doesn't do much for that -- it'll make her do more damage, but she'll have slightly worse armor. Your call, but I prefer the damage.

Anyway, I'd say you're ready ... head up to Zemus, and good luck.

That looks pretty good ... you've got all the good stuff for everybody, and you're high enough in levels, so I'd say go for it, unless you want to wander around and level up some more. You have more than a million GP, so head over to the Hummingway cave and pick up some Ethers and Ether2s. Maybe even some Elixers, if you feel like it. If you want to level more, pick up a lot of Ethers (I think they're 10k per) and wander around the third or fourth level with the glass tile floors ... the one before the level with the weird enemies like Zemus' Breath/Soul/Etc. You'll face a lot of Faces (hah), but there will also be plenty of Red and Blue Dragons, and often they'll show up two at a time, so it's a pretty good place to level up. Or you could just go to the room where the Pink Puffs show up and try leveling there -- you won't level as fast, but you'll have the chance to get Pink Tails.

One thing I would recommend is exchanging Rydia's Minerva armor for something else ... the Minerva is nice, but she has other robes/etc. that increase her Intelligence, whereas Minerva doesn't do much for that -- it'll make her do more damage, but she'll have slightly worse armor. Your call, but I prefer the damage.

Anyway, I'd say you're ready ... head up to Zemus, and good luck.
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes. =]