Thread: FFIV DS: Worth getting?

#LOCKE4GOD FFIV DS: Worth getting? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question FFIV DS: Worth getting?

So I've been offered to get a copy of this game for NZ$20 (roughly US$10), and I'm not sure if I should take it. I've got FFIV on PS in the PAL anthology (IV and V), and a save file with the game complete and characters around level 60-70 (I think; it's been awhile).

I know the new version has some major changes (though not as major as the GBA version, which I never played), but are they any good? And what are they (the additions/subtractions) anyway?

Basically I just want to know if there's much point getting this game when I have the (sort of) original version. What are it's strengths and drawbacks?

Bananarama FFIV DS: Worth getting? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I also have the PS version of IV, and I've played the DS version for a little bit.

The DS version is a complete graphical overhaul, with some new cutscenes and added voices. I've only played it for about an hour or so, but it's definitely a nice and refreshing take on a classic. Plus it's a portable version of an amazing game. I would definitely go for it, if not for the price and novelty alone.

The graphics are solid, I'd say they look like a mashup of VII and IX's quality. The gameplay is also pretty good, typical FFIV. If I recall, they make pretty good use of the dual screens. The only downside is that the voices can be a little annoying at times, and I don't think there was a way to just have text. When you interact with townspeople and the like, it'll be done in text, but certain scenes will be unavoidable, and they'll be done in full voices. It's a nice touch, but it's much faster just to read.

I wasn't even aware there was a GBA version of FFIV.
    Last edited by Pete; 10-19-2009 at 12:39 PM.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Postingway FFIV DS: Worth getting? Maciariello's Avatar
    Having recently played through FFIV on DS, I will say that it's an incredible game. I've played the PS remake (packaged with Chrono Trigger), and the DS version seems much more polished. Obviously, the graphics and animations are all much better, and the voices I never found annoying to the point where I had to turn off my volume. Truth be told, the voices are only in certain cutscenes and the cutscenes that do have them aren't overly plentiful. So if you're worried about voices, it's not something that will ruin the game for you.

I really don't remember the original all that well, but I know FFIV DS has an "augment" system that I believe wasn't present in the original game. It's basically a skill that you can permanently assign to one character. There are numerous augments throughout the story (many of which I never even found because I didn't have a guide). Don't take my word as 100% fact, but I'm pretty sure the augments were a new addition to the DS version.

#LOCKE4GOD FFIV DS: Worth getting? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah they certainly weren't in the original, but do they make this game worth the effort?

Are there any bonus locations, new bosses, story additions/subtractions?

Oh, and how's the music? The DS seems to make things fairly tinny, which annoys the feck out of me.

Postingway FFIV DS: Worth getting? Maciariello's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah they certainly weren't in the original, but do they make this game worth the effort?

Are there any bonus locations, new bosses, story additions/subtractions?

Oh, and how's the music? The DS seems to make things fairly tinny, which annoys the feck out of me.
    Honestly, I can't really tell you because 99% of my experience comes only from the DS remake. I wish I could help you, but I really can't on this particular aspect.

The music, however, is decent. I agree with you that the DS adds a certian sound to music that makes it sound a little less desirable, but I have the DS soundtrack on MP3 and its a very good one. It's not the best music quality, but it's decent. I found that if you play with headphones, it takes a little bit of the edge off the "tinny" sound.

Bananarama FFIV DS: Worth getting? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    From a review I'm reading, they decided to keep the same music from the original, which is indeed a good thing.

As for the story itself, small changes were made in the localization and in terms of continuity. The story will flow better and minute things such as spell names (fire 1, fire 2) will be renamed appropriately (fire, fira, firaga).

Unfortunately it DOESN'T have the same bonus dungeons as the GBA version, but you can transfer skills from one party member to another via the Augment system. There are also a handful of stylus-controlled minigames and prizes for completing area maps.

It looks like if you want the best and most polished version of the story, with the best visuals, go with the DS version. If you want a deeper experience, more focused on gameplay, with a less polished story and the traditional graphics, go with the GBA version. Both are offering things that the original and PS versions never had.
    Last edited by Pete; 10-19-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Elloewen FFIV DS: Worth getting? ultimatekupo's Avatar
    I have the game on DS, and I was seriously impressed with it.
    "There is a special providence in the fall of a sparrow" -Shakespeare

Elloewen FFIV DS: Worth getting? ultimatekupo's Avatar
    I dont have the original however so I wouldnt know the difference, but I kept asking my friend about it when I needed help, and he was able to answer my questions, when all he had played was the original.
    "There is a special providence in the fall of a sparrow" -Shakespeare