Thread: Cecil the Paladin

Registered User Cecil the Paladin Locke4God's Avatar

Cecil the Paladin

To me the best part about this game was the sense of destiny in the main character Cecil. The moment he found his calling and became a Paladin was very powerful and I wanted to know what everybody else thought when you compare that destiny storyline to other main characters of the series. Was Cecil the best lead?

I liked Dark Cecil more. He was more determinated, although of course he wasn't as pure and good as Paladin Cecil. At first I hated Paladin Cecil. I... well, how do I say this without insulting someone? XD" I just didn't like him because he was so shiny and new and wonderful and whatever. He was too positive. I like characters that aren't emo (like Cloud or Squall XD") but it was totally exaggerated, if you ask me.
    After playing the game, though, I liked him, because his personality didn't really change. He was even a bit more determinated. But his aim had changed, of course. xD"

He was definitely a great lead character, but I wouldn't say he was the best. Second best perhaps. (I liked Bartz most as a leader ^^) But nonetheless one of the best leading characters, as he really led the others. Many other FF leaders were just following someone... sadly. :/

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

Keeper of Balance/Defender of Order Cecil the Paladin Materiathief00's Avatar
    I'll agree to that. I think that Cecil had a very good role in the story and makes a very good lead. I agree that Cecil has the most destiny of all of the main characters. Some of the leads aren't really connected as much with the story.
    Plus, Cecil also had the whole Paladin thing going for him like you said. I think he's one of the better leads.

This INCREDIBLE banner was made by Kilala, thank you so much for making it for me!
    ----------------------------
    Barret: What are you?
    Red XIII: An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see.

Registered User Cecil the Paladin Locke4God's Avatar
    Agreed. I loved the destiny angle, and I'm both happy and a little mystified that they haven't used it more often. Squall I suppose had it a little, but only when you figured out who it was he was really fighting, and then that doesn't quite equal the same feeling you get with Cecil. Only the 4 heroes from FFI were presented as "legenday." I would kind of like to see that again.

Registered User Cecil the Paladin HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Y'know I'm currently playing the DS version of FFIV and I could tell by his voice, his actions and soforth that "This guy just does not seem to belong here."

Cecil is alright as a Paladin but I'm really starved for cash on FFIV and when I lost the Deathbringer and my armor and the darkness skill and even went back to Level one! I was mad as heck.

Electric
    You can get good money if you unequip DK Cecil before you lose him.

Same goes to a MUCH lesser extent for Tellah, Porom, Palom, Cid, Kain (twice), FuSoYa, Yang, and I think child Rydia

Registered User Cecil the Paladin HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah well since it was my first play through I didn't know
    Spoiler:
    people will die, betray you(twice, Tee-hee) and leave.

Since I'm too lazy to restart I'll just ask here.
    If I keep deathbringer, can I equip it later to either cecil or kain?
    Spoiler:
    By the way, that Ba$tard Kain took my damn blood sword the second time he leaves.

Postingway Cecil the Paladin Maciariello's Avatar
    Cecil Harvey is probably my favorite FF protagonist mainly because of his optimism, courage, loyalty to his friends, and overall strong demeanor. As a paladin, Cecil actually seems happier than he was before and it seems to me that he feels like he has a purpose in life.

As a dark knight, he was questioning his actions and looking for answers constantly. As a paladin, he still seeks certain answers but feels like his actions are the right instead of blindly following a higher authority's orders (like taking crystals from castles and razing villages to the ground).

His sense of destiny kicks in hardcore later on in the game, and I felt like that was when I really appreciated Cecil as a protagonist to the fullest extent.

Spoiler:
    Realizing his brother has been the source of his torment throughout the entire first 80% of the game made him tragic, and the fact that his father was a Lunarian and Cecil had gained a heavy destiny due to his family connections really makes him feel important.

Seriously, this guy is nearly flawless when it comes to good main characters in the fantasy realm.

Bringer Of Light! Cecil the Paladin Messiah's Avatar
    I agree with you Lock4god, I think its the transition from Dark to Light that it made it a really strong moment in the game!
    When the world decends into darkness - I'll bring the light!
    Bringer Of Light - Guiding Souls away from Darkness Since 1989!

VISIT MY SITE TODAY!
    Square-Zone
    CURRENTLY EMPLOYING:
    Moderators
    Review Writers
    Illustrator for a GFX team.

Keeper of Balance/Defender of Order Cecil the Paladin Materiathief00's Avatar
    True, I wish more main characters transitioned like that. Some of the later FF games don't even have the main character learn from the plot and change their ways. Some of them do, but they're few and far between.

This INCREDIBLE banner was made by Kilala, thank you so much for making it for me!
    ----------------------------
    Barret: What are you?
    Red XIII: An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see.

Registered User Cecil the Paladin Zeza's Avatar
    I think Cecil is a good lead, but if you ask me for one and only one lead, I choose Zidane. He always have a word of friendship for anyone.
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32214&dateline=125650  5007

SOLDIER 3rd Class Cecil the Paladin Copperfire's Avatar

Re: Cecil the Paladin

This may seem superficial, but I really like Cecil's hair when he became a paladin.

And he's a real hottie in Dissidia.

I liked Edge and his personal quest against Rubicante, thought it quite powerful.

Let's make it rain. Cecil the Paladin Jonathanx221's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Locke4God View Post
    To me the best part about this game was the sense of destiny in the main character Cecil. The moment he found his calling and became a Paladin was very powerful and I wanted to know what everybody else thought when you compare that destiny storyline to other main characters of the series. Was Cecil the best lead?
    I started playing 4, for the first time the other day. And I'm ten hours into it, I'd have to say, the story is pretty good, the whole paladin thing, I was not too happy finding out I would be switching from a dark knight, but when it happened, I was so much stronger and really happy. One good reason is because I started off at level 1 again (thank god i bought all the paladin equipment in advance) And immediately leveled myself to level 20.

This main character, Cecil, is so badass to me compared to the other characters for other Final Fantasy's. I don't know why I feel that way, he's just thrown himself into my top three right at that moment. I'm completely sucked into this game, and I'm playing it on PS1 on my PS3 with terrible graphics. I stopped playing Final Fantasy 13 for it! It's that good.

But anyway, back on topic, the fact that he went paladin, and the reasons behind it are great. I love it. This game went far passed my expectations. =] Thank you square for making it for us!

Cecil was the best lead by far of the games I've played (3, 4, 10, 12, 13, and the beginning of 6). He started out as a dark knight, and ended up as the savior of the world. 4 has my favorite story next to 10, and it's all because of the characters. Cecil is by far my favorite.
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33276&dateline=126937  8632

Paladin Cecil the Paladin Voltaire Adams's Avatar

Cecil is such a powerful protaganist. I mean, destiny had so much in store for him, and he never wavered once after he was set upon his true path. We all have demons, and things in our past we would change. But most times we don't do anything about it, but to keep on living life. Cecil Harvey knew that he had to change the future, to atone for his sins, and I think that's really powerful.

Plus, this man has faced so much pain. He's killed innocents because of how loyal he is, and he has watched people he cares about die around him.
    This is my signature. It's not good now, but later on it might be. Who can say...

...can you?

Rune Knight Cecil the Paladin Trodorne's Avatar

i do have to agree when cecil became a paladin i was like WOOO. in fact i changed from a red mage fan to a paladin fan cause of him. which then i went to black mage, and then sage, and then balanced of paladin and black mage.

but the story was truely awe inspiring how the life he had was just a learning curve into his true destiny as a defender of all life.

I think he had potential to be a really amazing lead character, but they just played the old 'destiny' card, which has become a bit hackneyed and boring. I mean, I'm not against that but they could of added a stronger inner battle (I know he hated being a Dark Knight and didn't want to be it, but its not powerful enough). When you compare Cecil to later FF leads he doesn't stand up to them, especially Cloud, Squall and Tidus.

However, I'm not saying he isn't a good charcter, I'm just saying compared to some of the others he is a weaker lead. But Cecil was still really awesome, he started out as a super cool Dark Knight and then he became a Paladin (He's the only FF charcter that changes class in the game, at least the only one I'm aware of)

Registered User Cecil the Paladin Zidane77's Avatar

Cecil is a really good character and a leader.
    The DS version could've been a lot better, it was good but the older version is how i like him (besides battle in DS version in which he has more abilitys,).

He's one of my favorite lead characters along with Zidane and Cloud.
    Terra and Squall were pretty cool too.