View Poll Results: who is the greatesbass player?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • john paul jones

0 0%
  • paul mcartney

2 13.33%
  • flea

4 26.67%
  • jaco pastorius

1 6.67%
  • geezer butler

0 0%
  • james jamerson

0 0%
  • les claypool

3 20.00%
  • other?

5 33.33%

Thread: Who is/was the greatest bassist?

Who is/was the greatest bassist?

Who do you think is the greatest bass player of all time. I am not just speaking about talent in notes and chords but also inivation and style as well.

Thats such a broad question.

Overall, McCartney has probably had the biggest impact on all forms of rock music. One of the most important aspects was that McCartney was primarily a guitarist before he switched to the bass. He was able to bring that aspect into his playing style. You get better at your instrument by understanding the instruments around you.

TFF's Token Imp Who is/was the greatest bassist? Martin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I prefer John Deacon but he's not on the list - Under Pressure? Another One Bites The Dust? Anyone??

I rest my case
    Spoiler:

Care to have a look at my WordPress Journal?

well ig uess you are right when you say that it is braod question. speakign as someone who likes rock music i do think that the most inavative and skilled bass player was probibly jaco pastorius. he played riffs and melodies that drove people mad trying to learn. he was able to play all different parts of a song on just one instrement. ive sen videos where he has turned a bass into a guitar, a horn, and even a drum (in terms of the sound).

What is this I don't even Musashiden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, up until recently I would have said Jean Baudin from Nuclear Rabbit. He's been overtaken by Jeff Hughell from Brain Drill. This guy pulls off some of the most insane bass riffs I've ever heard in my life. It's the kind of shit you don't normally hear in death metal.

http://www.myspace.com/braindrill

Listen to Sadistic Abductive. About 10 seconds in you'll shit your pants.

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?
    Thread killer extraordinaire since 4/20/01.
    Tumblr | Twitter

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    I decided to stick with one of the named bassists. Flea.
    You mean Flea from Red Hot Chilli Peppers, right?
    I don't know if I'd call him the best, but he is one of my personal favourites. There's good reason that band's in my playlist half of the time.
    victoria aut mors

im going to have to put a notch on les claypools belt. he is fricken awsome. ive never heard anything like him. flea isnt bad either but i wouldnt concider him the greatest
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

'eh, it's way too broad of a question like James said.

I'd probably have to say McCartney, though my FAVORITE is Flea.

I abstained from voting, however.

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Who is/was the greatest bassist? Polk's Avatar
    Technically speaking, Jaco Pastorious and Victor Wooten top(ped) the list. But if you're talking about pure originality, Les Claypool wins in a landslide. Listen to Primus' "To defy the laws of tradition" and tell me otherwise. Also, I don't think Flea is THAT good. Bootsy Collins is probably the best funk bassist around.

Quote Originally Posted by James K. Polk View Post
    Technically speaking, Jaco Pastorious and Victor Wooten top(ped) the list. But if you're talking about pure originality, Les Claypool wins in a landslide. Listen to Primus' "To defy the laws of tradition" and tell me otherwise. Also, I don't think Flea is THAT good. Bootsy Collins is probably the best funk bassist around.
    yea i do agree with you, i only put him on there because in past arguments disscussing the best bassists, people always kept complaining that flea wasnt on the list. i wasnt sure how this crowd would react. personally i dont think hes all that great, i mean yes hes a good bass player but nothing more really.

Stage Dives, High Fives. Who is/was the greatest bassist? Confession's Avatar
    Steve Harris. If you dont know who he is then you dont know much about music. In terms originality, skill and basslines, he is far up there as one of the best around

For you who dont know him, he is the bassist of the legendary heavy metal band Iron Maiden

for a listen, look up 2 minutes 2 midnight hallowed be thy name or Rime of the ancient mariner

Wu Tang Killa Bee's, We On The Storm.

I'm bias when it comes to this but the best bassist in my opinion is Duff McKagan. xD For those who don't know, he's from Guns n' Roses and now Velvet Revolver. I always thought he was/is a great bassist.. not the best but still great in my eyes.

Of course McCartney is one of the best, he influenced many, many musicians. He is truly awesome. There are a lot of talented bassists out there though in bands, past and present.

CC's YouTube Page|Add me on last.fm
    Is on Facebook so feel free to add me. =)

Maridia
    John Entwistle of The Who. He died a few years ago and was amazing. I feel he and Stanley Clark are probably the 2 best out there. John was truly amazing. Seeing as they only had 1 guitarist he took the bass of the song and made it almost the lead guitar more than Townshend did. He could be going up and down the neck lightning quick or twang the notes with the way he worked the bass but no matter what he was a true bass master.

Who is/was the greatest bassist? Mugetsu's Avatar
    Wooooooooooten!

I used to listen to alot of Jean Baudin.

No mention of mr Hancock?
    No one will ever beat my darts score!

Hunter Burgan-AFI

I invented Go-Gurt. Who is/was the greatest bassist? Clint's Avatar
    What a bias poll. You based it off of popularity, instead of actual musical talent. Steve Harris of Iron Maiden is much better than anybody on that list. When it comes to song writing talent, very few people are better. Record sales show for it, too. Iron Maiden is the highest selling band in history.

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Who is/was the greatest bassist? ZantetsukeN's Avatar
    I would say Steve Harris (Iron Maiden). Just listen to the intro to 'the Clairvoyent'. Nuff said.

My favourite is probably Cliff Burton though.

Knox
    Les Claypool all the way. Very innovative stuff. He's very original and can be hard to copy. Always has catchy basslines and grooves. He needs some more votes.
    Last edited by Knox; 10-05-2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Errors.