Thread: what can music do for you?

what can music do for you?

well, for one thing music is very popular and we are all certainly familiar with what music is. but what does it really mean to you?

to me, music is the soul of something. it enhances the emotions and moods of the visual...and clarifies the message of what it is trying to send.

Registered User what can music do for you?

Re: what can music do for you?

I love music. I listen to it nearly all day, every day. I sometimes even fall asleep with my headphones on.

I took a music appreciation class in college, and one of the things that was taught was the different ways that people can enjoy music. That was a while back, so I forgot all the different ways (), but one that really resonated with me was when some people listen to music, they just let the sound wash over them, and enjoy it to the effect as if it was soothing background noise. I do that constantly. I can listen to a lot of instrumental music, and it puts my mind at peace. ^_^ That's actually what most of my music collection consists of. I have a few songs that have lyrics, but for the most part, it's just instrumentals.

Also, like you, I think that music can enhance a scene or your emotional response to a certain event. I like it when a peice of music can move me emotionally.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

For me, it makes things I don't like doing less annoying and more tolerable. Also, helps with my creative blocks, that was mentioned before and sometimes helps me focus on homework better depending on what it is. Mainly, it just helps make things less boring.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Registered User what can music do for you? kupo's Avatar

like dodie, i listen to music ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. i went through a very low point of my life when i was about 16 and thats about when i really started listening to music a lot...while doing homework, falling asleep, and so on. it was very therapeutic helped me get through a lot of crap. i guess you could say it was a form of expressing myself without doing it...myself
    anyway, when i went to college i took an intro to guitar class my sr. year. being that i really enjoyed listening to music and all i thought that this would be another way to do so. playing guitar became somewhat of a stress reliever (was going a craptacular time with the ex). then about 3 months ago i finally broke down and got a bass guitar (ive been wanting to learn how to play since i was 13) and that and FF are pretty much my anti-drugs heh.

**end rant**

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man." - Balthier

CURRENTLY PLAYING
    final fantasy xiii-2
    skyrim
    pokemon fire red

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    I love music. I listen to it nearly all day, every day. I sometimes even fall asleep with my headphones on.

I took a music appreciation class in college, and one of the things that was taught was the different ways that people can enjoy music. That was a while back, so I forgot all the different ways (), but one that really resonated with me was when some people listen to music, they just let the sound wash over them, and enjoy it to the effect as if it was soothing background noise. I do that constantly. I can listen to a lot of instrumental music, and it puts my mind at peace. ^_^ That's actually what most of my music collection consists of. I have a few songs that have lyrics, but for the most part, it's just instrumentals.

Also, like you, I think that music can enhance a scene or your emotional response to a certain event. I like it when a peice of music can move me emotionally.
    wow. i listen to music "literally" everyday. even at night...while i lie on my bed. but weirdly it never makes me fall asleep. music keeps me awake.... i used to be obsessed with my music in my ipod but now that i've downloaded videos, meaning visual AND music, i'm totally addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by kupo View Post
    like dodie, i listen to music ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. i went through a very low point of my life when i was about 16 and thats about when i really started listening to music a lot...while doing homework, falling asleep, and so on. it was very therapeutic helped me get through a lot of crap. i guess you could say it was a form of expressing myself without doing it...myself
    omg. i thought i was the only one in the whole wide world to be so crazy about music.
    Last edited by LIGHTNING_71013; 03-15-2010 at 09:49 PM.

The Mad God what can music do for you? Heartless Angel's Avatar

If I'm awake, I'm listening to music. I even keep background music on when i'm watching TV or playing games or something. I sleep with meditation music playing. And I'm a musician myself.

Music to me is just a form of expression when you're the one making it. Listening to it, it just enhances my mood, memory, and actually lets me think faster. It's been proven scientifically that listening to music while studying information increases how long you remember it.

I get more from playing than listening though. To people who know me well enough, my guitar is as good as a second voice. I used to think my Girlfriend had ESP, then one day she explained the she knew what was on my mind because she heard differences in my tone, and choice of notes when I improv. Since then, I started listening more closely to my own work, and it really does carry what I'm feeling at the time. Even if I'm trying to play major chords and make things sound upright, if i feel like shit, you can tell by the tone.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

i also learned that music can be therapy for depression. apparently, people with depression can be cured with just music. thats kind of neat.

The Mad God what can music do for you? Heartless Angel's Avatar

I don't think it works alone, but it's often used for parts of therapy.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Registered User what can music do for you? kupo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heartless Angel View Post
    I don't think it works alone, but it's often used for parts of therapy.
    im going to play off of what you and lightning mentioned. long story short, i use to have to visit a psychologist in college, for about 2 years, because of depression. i dont like the idea of pumping my body full of drugs in order to "fix" something; so...she had suggested listening/playing music as something that could help. needless to say it worked some...not wonders but there was a noticeable difference.
    music is one of those things where its so much more than just listening to your favorite song or band. there are endless possibilities of what it can do.

rock on ya'll

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man." - Balthier

CURRENTLY PLAYING
    final fantasy xiii-2
    skyrim
    pokemon fire red