Thread: Gulty pleasures ?

Registered User Gulty pleasures ? jcsimpson's Avatar

Gulty pleasures ?

Let's hear 'em!

What artists are you shocked you listen to but just can't get enough of ?
    Habitant vegetable soup blows the balls off every other vegetable soup

Blog Entries

Re: Gulty pleasures ?

I have always liked Erasure and Pet Shop Boys, two 80's electronica bands with some clearly homosexual overtones to their songs (Pet Shop Boys more than Erasure. No offense to gay people.) Also, they're very poppy and write a lot of love songs. I'm generally not a fan of pop, except maybe 80's pop, j-pop, and...

...I developed a strong liking for Savage Garden, because I traveled a lot with my sister, who loved them. Think I like their first album better than their second, because it was more diverse and interesting. The second was pretty good, too.

Also, I actually like DC Talk, a christian pop band. They have some songs that lean towards rock though. And some rap (actually, they started out as a rap act.) That's all I can think of right now. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

There are a few bands as of late that I have found myself getting into a few of their songs. Oddly enough some of them are country which I can not stand when it comes to contemporary artists.

For instance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZMCkufE0X0

A friend recommended that I listen to that song because it reminded him of a mutual friend that died this year, it only took a few seconds to realize what he was talking about.

Also bands like Slipknot have never been to high on my rankings list but after Psycosocial and Snuff, they have found a place in my musical likings.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Gulty pleasures ? ZantetsukeN's Avatar

I don't like to use the term 'guilty pleasures' because I always listen to the music I want to listen to, and not worry about it.

That being said, I think, not myself, but others are shocked that I listen to Lady Gaga. I've always been known to, over the years, listen to mainly Metal and Punk. Which happens to mostly be true. So when people hear me listening to her, or see that I am listening to her over MSN and stuff, I always get people asking me why.

Bananarama Gulty pleasures ? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.

There, I said it. I can't turn on of their songs off if it's on the radio. It just won't happen... They're both really catchy artists, and I um, wouldn't mind smashing either of them out.

And then I'll go back to blasting whatever rock I was listening to.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Death Before Dishonor Gulty pleasures ? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly I love me some Taylor Swift. I just find her music very catchy, and honestly I love it. She is absolutely amazing, plus she is extremely doable. I actually believe she has a new album out. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I bet it is excellent.

If you look back in some of my post I shit all over Lil Wayne, and say he is crap, but lately I have been listening to so much of his music. I always thought Tha Carter I was amazing, but II, and III are crap, and I still think. I listened to his mixtape No Ceilings, and his I am Not a Human Being album, and my god they are insane. Also his appearance's in other artist music is usually amazing.

Paramore is another that I can think of. Most of my buddies think their music is girly, but I love it. I have been to like 3 of their concerts. I don't know why, but I enjoy it. Same thing with Flyleaf, and other bands with female singers.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Registered User Gulty pleasures ? jcsimpson's Avatar

Mine is Ke$ha...and I'm not sure why. The things she says, the stupid pitch shifts in her voice, the way she acts...I would hate these qualities in any other artist but I love her. I can't stop listening to her and have been for a long time...god I love her.
    Habitant vegetable soup blows the balls off every other vegetable soup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcsimpson View Post
    Mine is Ke$ha...and I'm not sure why. The things she says, the stupid pitch shifts in her voice, the way she acts...I would hate these qualities in any other artist but I love her. I can't stop listening to her and have been for a long time...god I love her.
    Man when Ke$ha comes on I can't help but to dance. I can't get enough of that shit. Plus as you mentioned the things she says. God she is a dirty girl lol.

Bananarama Gulty pleasures ? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of my friends feels the same way about her. He's a total metal guy, loves all of that niche stuff, but is in love with Ke$ha. Thinks shes ridiculously hot, even though he'll judge better looking girls that much more harshly... and he sings along with her songs. It's pretty funny cause he's a big dude.

She's not really even on my list, so meh.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Memento Rhapso Gulty pleasures ? Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well. . . I blame my girlfriend for these being mine but
    This
    Some of this
    and most of these (as long as they're Luka/ nice beat and instrumental)
    Iosys and Vocaloid. I used to make fun of them but my god. . . I can't quit listening! Graah!
    --
    Also, game raps. Not like Brentalfloss, though. The ones that place popular rap songs over video game OST's and somehow they flow beautifully. They're awesome, but embarrassing due to them being such cheesy rappers. (Also I listen to Blackeyed Peas by themselves.)

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Magically Delicous Gulty pleasures ? Merlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZantetsukeN View Post
    I don't like to use the term 'guilty pleasures' because I always listen to the music I want to listen to, and not worry about it.
    I can agree to that. I listen to wide variety of genres, so at any given time I get strange looks at what I am listening to. It's funny when someone says, "oh I like the same music you do!" Um... which ones? Metal, symphonic metal, gothic metal, power metal, symphonic power metal, heavy metal, rock, German rock, classic rock, pop, j-pop, 80's alternative, industrial, classical, Indian Fusion, techno, electronica, dance, funk, blues, R&B, rap, old school rap, Celtic, Euro-House, Latin, etc? *blank stare*

I guess, from that list my "guilty pleasure" would be the occasional country song I like. I used to like country more, but over the years it usually just bugs the shit out of me listening to it. Not sure why.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I guess, from that list my "guilty pleasure" would be the occasional country song I like. I used to like country more, but over the years it usually just bugs the shit out of me listening to it. Not sure why.
    It is because it is all the same old shit. It never f*cking changes. It is either about drinking, and partying redneck style, or about love, losing love, or some variation of it. Every now and again a song comes out that breaks the mold, but it isn't very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph View Post
    I have always liked Erasure and Pet Shop Boys, two 80's electronica bands with some clearly homosexual overtones to their songs.
    /sign
    I like "Always" by Erasure, though I hadn't heard it in a while before listening to some old CDs again a few months ago. (Oh, a few months... means... it's already been over 6 months! O_o Oops!) But that's the only song I know by them. And as for the Pet Shop Boys: I listened to them quite a lot when I was younger, and I only remember "Go West". Ah well...

As for "modern" music, I like mostly everything I hear. There are plenty of songs I like and probably shouldn't, because most of the albums I have at home are of Metal bands.
    But the only song I even have on my PC (because my sister has most songs played on the radio :>) is "We are the people" by Empire of the Sun. I like the song pretty much, though I don't listen to it all the time.

And I agree with ZantetsukeN and Merlin: I don't feel like being wrong just because I listen to those songs. I like them, so it's okay. I'm not guilty and it's definitely not that much of a pleasure.

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

Registered User Gulty pleasures ? HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, I still listen to my music wherever and whenever I go, so I'll be yet another to agree with Zantesken but if I had to choose "guilty pleasures" they'd be:

Tiny Tim: A Ukelle playing dude from the 1960's with the vocal chords of a three year old...Still a total beast though.

Ke$ha: Her songs are so damn catchy. I don't like the whole party thing she's going for but I do dig her music...unfortunately.

Lady Gaga: I got over the whole "OMG You listen to her?!" factor a long time ago because I listened to her music before she was popular but none the less she's one I guess I'd put up here.