Thread: Guitar Players

Guitar Players

We all have those few guitar players that we enjoy to hear play.So the point of this thread is to name the guitar players that you enjoy to hear the most.
    1.Jimi Hendrix
    2.Eric Clapton
    3.Carlos Santana
    I love the legends.
    4.Jerry Cantrell(Alice In Chains)
    5.Aaron Lewis(Staind)
    6.Kirk Hammet(Metallica)
    7.Pete Towshend(The Who)
    8.Jack White(The White Stripes,The Raconteurs)
    9.Tom Delogne(Blink-182,Angels and Airwaves,and Box Car Racer)

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Guitar Players ZantetsukeN's Avatar
    Dave Mustaine is my favourite guitarist. Along with his vocals, he is simply awesome.
    Others I like:
    Adam Jones (Tool)
    Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell)
    KK Downing (Judas Priest)
    John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
    Jimi Hendrix
    Ted Nugent
    Joe Satriani

Morbid Angel Guitar Players Ulteka Mako's Avatar
    Living in St. Augustine Florida/From Jacksonville Florida.
    I would have to say Zack Wild from Black Label Society, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Peter Frampton.
    Life or death. Nethire are consider to someone like me. For I am both. Nor death can happen to me, or can life. There is no other like me. For I am one with myself. Nobody else is. That is the way of the immortal. That is the way of Ulteka Mako.

I live for Omar Rodriguez-Lopez; however, Yoshiki Fujiyama has recently captured my heart.

Registered User Guitar Players TobiasRainey's Avatar
    Brian Aubert from Silversun Pickups and Claudio Sanchez from Coheed and Cambria. They don't really do anything amazing but they put so much heart into their music you can't help but love it.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes...or should I?

Boredness rules us all Guitar Players Midnight Panda's Avatar
    jimi hendrix pwns all!
    the guitarist for dragonforce
    the guitarist for mettalica...
    sorry not good withname.
    the guitarist for guns and roses and the one for motley crue
    Been gone a long while but im back now and not as annoying. promise

THANKS TO ANDROMEDA

Death Before Dishonor Guitar Players Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quiet a few great guitarist that need mention...

Carlos Santana
    Jimi Hendrix
    Synyster Gates(Avenged Sevenfold)
    Kirk Hammett(Metallica)
    Joe Satriani
    Herman Li(Dragon Force)

All these guys are f*cking great. I could name alot more but alas I shall not..

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Waiting for your sister to turn 18 Guitar Players chrono's Avatar
    randy rhoads

hizaki

Les Paul

Jimi Hendrix

Craig Goldy

and a bunch of other poor black blues and jazz players that have influenced every popular rock and pop band since the 20s and 30s. Elvis and the Beatles included
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\bit torrents\jiu jitsu\helio.jpg

Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch a movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." -Marcelo Garcia

To fight is a man's instinct; if men have nothing else to fight over they will fight over words, fancies, or women, or they will fight because they dislike each other's looks, or because they have met walking in opposite directions” - George Santayana

Registered User Guitar Players CeeJay's Avatar
    John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons, Buckethead, Matt Bellamy! Yngwie Malmsteen..

Van Halen, too..

Pete Loeffler.....
    Hi there.

Banned Guitar Players

Re: Guitar Players

Hendrix is dead, he does not pwn anything. I'm honestly sick of people saying how awesome Hendrix " Is" he's ****ing dead. Ya, he was the greatest in his time, but look how far the art of guitar playing has come, ya that's right, it's an ART now! Think of this. Compare the Skills of the two, Synyster Gates VS Hendrix. Hendrix would get full on raped in a guitar challenge. And the people who say Zakk Wylde is a guitar god, are 50% right. I'll admit he has serious skill, but I don't wanna head some lame ass biker do Dive bombs and harmonics through a whole song and live show

Anyways...my list
    Synyster Gates
    Kirk Hammett
    Adam Jones
    Dave Mustain
    John Petrucci

.............. Guitar Players smurphy's Avatar

In no particular order

Dave Mustaine
    Eddie Van Halen
    Marty Friedman
    Slash
    Alex Skolnick
    Jimmy Page
    Randy Rhoads
    Jeff Beck
    Adrian Smith
    SRV
    Rory Gallagher
    Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai
    Brian May
    Max Cavalera
    Paul Kossoff
    Jerry Cantrell
    Bill Steer
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Devin Townsend
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Finding this place a little dull... Guitar Players xTidus's Avatar

The guitarists that I like to listen to are;-
    -Tim McIlrath (RiseAgainst)
    -Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
    -Jimi Hendrix
    -Josh Farro (Paramore)

I have more I just can't think of them right now. But them four rock!

xTidus: "What are you doing?"
    ViviMasterMage: "I'm eating your hair... Why?"
    xTidus: "You have problems..."
    ViviMasterMage: "You smell nice!...I do have problems!"
    Both: *giggles*

The Mad God Guitar Players Heartless Angel's Avatar

As a guitarist, I'm big on technique. As a result, alot of the legends just don't seem as impressive to me as they would to most. So, my favorites are more along the lines of Shredders.

Michael Angelo Batio, his technique is nothing short of divine. His latest album was named "Hands without shadows", based on a comment made by a fan in China, he said something to the effect that his hands could cast no shadow, because they moved faster than light. Michael invented the double guitar, the quad guitar, the over under technique used by guitarists from Dragonforce, Trivium, and many other bands. Even KISS used this technque after seeing michael do it. He was also one of the first rock musicians to play a 7 string. He's in his 50s now, and still shreds circles around aany other player I've witnessed. Not to mention; not ONLY he can play right handed or lefty... he can play both simultaneously. He also was the teacher of rage Against the machine's guitarist, Tom Morrello. In addition to being an incredible musician, he's also an incredible person. Very encouraging, always thanks the people who got him where he is, credits other musicians often, and has virtually no ego in spite of being that good. MAB's my main influence as a guitarist.

YouTube - Dean Guitars: Michael Angelo Batio promo for www.angelo.com

The late, great, Shawn Lane; truly a God among guitarists.
    Died far too young for someone with so much talent. Apologies for bad sound quality.

YouTube - Shawn Lane

Rusty Cooley, one of the sickest shredders alive. Guitarist of Outworld, though I prefer his solo work.

YouTube - Rusty Cooley - "Dark Matter"

John Petrucci, best known for his work with Dream theatre, but his solo stuff is much better IMO. Insane technique, beautiful tone, nothing not to love.

YouTube - John Petrucci - Glasgow Kiss - G3 2005

Joe Satriani, one of my biggest influences, and the teacher of other giants, such as Steve vai and Kirk Hammett. Satch ftw.

YouTube - Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien

Steve Vai, the man knows his music. He's a skilled composer, and is very innovative, not to mention he was taught by none other than Joe Satriani, I usppose that helps...

YouTube - Steve Vai / Building The Church /

Yngwie malmsteen, he may be the most arrogant person I've ever seen, but when you're this good, you've earned the right to an ego.

YouTube - Yngwie Malmsteen-Arpeggios From Hell

Buckethead, he's one crazy mother f---er, and my god he can shred. He works wonders with atonal music, as well as composing melodic songs that push technique to its limits. Shawn Lane, often regarded as the fastest shredder of our age once recorded several clips of himself, and edited them together to see how fast he could make something. Buckethead tried to play it in real time, and Shawn Lane himself said he came frighteningly close to doing it. That's saying something.

YouTube - The Best BUCKETHEAD Braingate Video on Youtube

And lastly, Randy Rhoades, Guitarist of Ozzy Osbourne, there's not a shredder alive who hasn't been influenced by Randy, whether directly or not. While everyone else was ripping on the E string for a few seconds and calling it a guitar solo, Randy was tearing fretboards apart with solos like Crazy Train and Mr. Crowley. All hail Randy, Founding Father of Shred. I personally argue against people overglorifying guitarists just because they were innovators, or they came first. But unlike any of the guys usually getting glory this way (Hendrix and Clapton <.<), Randy actually could hold his own against 90% of modern guitarists.

Youtube - Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley
    Last edited by Heartless Angel; 03-14-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Registered User Guitar Players TrooperVIII's Avatar

I agree with a lot of you but you've completely neglected Frank Zappa. He had a very large impact on Steve Vai, without a doubt you can hear it in his music. Zappa was an absolute musical genius, an absolutely god with a guitar and an all around fantastic musician, not to mention a phenomenal composer, and conducting the London philharmonic. Quite hilarious and intelligent. Also if it weren't for him, music would be censored. He fought that to the extreme and eventually it lead to labels on compact discs reading "parental advisort, explicit lyrics"

I'm babbling. Anyways. Frank Zappa. Incredible person in human history. An absolute must before ones life ends.

Zappa was a beast, just not really my sound lol.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

That's a little odd how you say that, Heartless Angel. Seeing as how Zappa had originally hired Steve Vai to write guitar compositions.

Just listen to Watermelon In Easter Hay from Joe's Garage. It is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. And many will agree with me.

Well if we are going to bring up beautiful guitar pieces you should definetely listen to YouTube - Where Were You - Jeff Beck and YouTube - Joe Satriani - Always with me, always with you back from when Satch still had hair.
    Winston S.Churchill

Of course. I'm very familiar with Jeff Beck. He is unbelievable with effects, volume control and the whammy bar. A true artist.

I am extremely familiar with "Always With Me, Always With You" its one of the first songs I, dissected if you will, to figure out more on Satch's style. Very much like Hendrix and Jimmy Page.
    Also a god with the fret board.

Speaking of Jimmy Page, everyone had forgotten him as well. He doesn't get even half the credit he deserves.

Eric Johnson is also an amazing virtuoso.

Yeah but all everyone knows of Johnson is "White cliffs of dover". Including me. Page is THE greatest of all time and Hendrix is overrated. Speaking of Page and beautiful pieces. YouTube - Led Zeppelin - Black Mountain Side
    Winston S.Churchill

Wow, how the **** did I forget to mention Beck... Jeff Beck is an amazing musician.

Page was great, but I don't know if I'd call him the best. I'll definately agree he blows Jimi away though.

Memento Rhapso Guitar Players Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Daron Malakian, Kirk Hammet, and Eric Johnson

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Hendrix is overrated but he was such a natural with music.

Its about time I meet people who know true guitarists. I've had enough with the 3 chord with a possible simple lead thrown into it.

John Fogerty is awesome as well. He definitely made southern rock.

Eddie Van Halen is good but his ego is way too large. It just bothers me when musicians are arrogant and full of themselves.

If you're into heavy metal, the guitarist from Darkest Hour, Mike Schleibaum is awesome. Especially the song "Stand And Receive Your Judgement"

And of course As I Lay Dying.

Tony Iommi is a riff master. Especially for fretting with fake fingertips!!

I don't have a problem with a guitarist having an ego, as long as they have the skills to back it up. Eddie practically invented two hand tapping, and is a damn good shredder as well, so he can be a bit arrogant and be forgiven for it lol.

Memento Rhapso Guitar Players Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh! Thanks for the reminder, Steve Vai!

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

I suppose I can agree with you on that but his ego was so big it broke up the entire band. Well that and I guess David Lee Roth wanted to go flip burgers at McDonald's.

Eddie Van Halen can be forgiven for his ego but not for switching to damn synthesisers. Eruption is my favourite solo. Mind blowing stuff. Cathedral and Spanish Fly are genius as well. And I am only scratching the tip of the iceberg.

Kirk Hammett is the most overrated player ever. Since hearing the black album i will never go near a wah pedal again. His only good solo is Fuel. Another of Satchs students, Skolnick is probably the most underrated. He is just so effortlessly and consistently brilliant.
    Winston S.Churchill

I like Metallica as a band, but Kirk as a guitarist is really nothing special lol.

All of Metallica is overrated. I will admit, I've learned a lot of their music on guitar but Its quite simple in my opinion.

And definitely Alex Skolnick. I had forgotten about him.

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Guitar Players ZantetsukeN's Avatar

Two I forgot, and don't think have been mentioned yet, is Jeff Loomis and Chris Broderick from Nevermore (Broderick is in Megadeth now though, Loomis also does solo stuff). They are absolutely phenominal at shredding. This video showcases both of them (Broderick is the first one, Loomis is second). Nevermore are also I very underrated band IMO.

YouTube - Nevermore: Chris Broderick & Jeff Loomis Guitar Solo Duel

Shake it like a polaroid picture Guitar Players RagnaToad's Avatar

My favourite guitarists would probably be:
    (no particular order)

-Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth)
    -Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth)
    -Mauro Pawlowski (dEUS)
    -Jimi Hendrix
    -Captain Beefheart
    -Johnny Marr (The Smiths)
    -George Harrison (The Beatles)
    -Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age)
    -Frank Black (Pixies)
    -Beck (NOT Jeff Beck!)
    -Keith Richards (Rolling Stones)
    -Pete Townshend (The Who)
    -Rodrigo (from Rodrigo y Gabriela)
    -John Frusciante (although I feel like the Red Hot Chili Peppers' songs didn't do justice to his talent, whe he was in that band)
    -Tim Vanhamel (Millionaire)
    -Jamie Hince (The Kills)

And of course Ron Asheton (The Stooges)

I know I'm still forgetting some, but these come to mind now.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good