Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know

Yea I bought a line 6 spider 3 the other day only 30 watt though and its really all I need. I love it
    You just don't get it. There isn't a thing I don't cherish!

http://www.fffan.com/chartest/banners/cloud.jpg
    FF3 Friend Code

Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know Daddy's Avatar
    Cool, man. That's great to hear.
    Remember - if you're serious about playing (i.e. wanting to play shows, make music into a career, etc), definitely look into tube amps. It never hurts to get into the know about that gear even if you don't intend to.
    You are not an FF character.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy
    Cool, man. That's great to hear.
    Remember - if you're serious about playing (i.e. wanting to play shows, make music into a career, etc), definitely look into tube amps. It never hurts to get into the know about that gear even if you don't intend to.
    Definitely. I used to use a 100 watt Fender with 2 12s. It was alright. But my 40 watt Fender tube amp blows it out of the water. With a good overdrive, it is plenty louder at 3 or 4 than the solid state was at 7. The only time I have ever had to mic it was outdoors, and thats a given for most amps.

ok thanks, I will keep that in mind
    You just don't get it. There isn't a thing I don't cherish!

http://www.fffan.com/chartest/banners/cloud.jpg
    FF3 Friend Code

Quote Originally Posted by Vossler
    Definitely. I used to use a 100 watt Fender with 2 12s. It was alright. But my 40 watt Fender tube amp blows it out of the water. With a good overdrive, it is plenty louder at 3 or 4 than the solid state was at 7. The only time I have ever had to mic it was outdoors, and thats a given for most amps.
    Thta depends on the situation, really. In loud venues, that 100W could shine if it was a tube amp (which I think it might have been..Most Fenders are tube), but the lower wattage 40W amp would have blown it out on the water on the fact that you could drive it harder at much lower volumes.

I'm looking into a Fender Twin 100W 2x12 speaking of which. Yes, I know - 100W is a lot, and it's a tube amp, BUT I can switch the power down to 45W to get a better tone at lower volumes.
    Last edited by Daddy; 12-23-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Mesa Dual Rectifier's, they are beautiful machines that can switch between the sweetest tone to a growling low very easily. Very wide dynamics range sounds great especially while recording, half stacks at low volumes sound very full. Put an SM-57 up to it and its marvelous.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar4sk
    Mesa Dual Rectifier's, they are beautiful machines that can switch between the sweetest tone to a growling low very easily. Very wide dynamics range sounds great especially while recording, half stacks at low volumes sound very full. Put an SM-57 up to it and its marvelous.
    They ****in' better be, for the price mesa ask for. Preferably, I'd stick a power attenuator between the cab and head - they're just too loud to justify getting the best tone from them, but too expensive (cab and head) to go to waste.

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know Polk's Avatar
    So, I have a question. not even sure if it'll get answered, this thread's been dead so long. How do you guys feel about Warr guitars? It was never talked about in the first article.

Anyway, I was thinking about saving up to buy one (the 14 string model I'd want costs about $4000). They're really cool, guitar-bass hybrid guitars, most commonly tapped.

So my question would be, should I invest, or get something more practical, like a Dean?

here's the site

And a video of one of my favorite warr players.

Go for it, Polk. If for no other reason than to be unique. I have two questions for you, though:

1. How practical is it? I would imagine you would need mighty hands, and even then, it is a little unorthodox.

2. What are you going to play through? Those low notes can make a guitar amp sad. I blew a speaker from overuse of an bass octave pedal. I would think a bass amp with a tweeter would be needed.

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know Polk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Wray
    1. How practical is it? I would imagine you would need mighty hands, and even then, it is a little unorthodox.
    While it may be a bit impractical, I don't plan on tapping constantly. While the most common way of playing is tapping, it can be played by normally fretting and strumming, or bass-style plucking or slapping. My tapping technique isn't that great, so I'd probably stray from it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Wray
    2. What are you going to play through? Those low notes can make a guitar amp sad. I blew a speaker from overuse of an bass octave pedal. I would think a bass amp with a tweeter would be needed.
    I need to buy myself a new amp, since the only thing I have at the moment is a shitty little Crate guitar amp that cost me like, $50. What I was thinking about getting was a Hartke HA3500 Bass amp. Same thing Colin Marston plays through. Yeah. I'm original. But, I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows better amps.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Shake it like a polaroid picture Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know RagnaToad's Avatar
    I TOTALLY disagree with a lot of those tips for beginners.

If you like a guitarist's work, why not get the same guitar with a sound you're familiar with and suits your style?

Why not pick a great guitar that looks awesome to you too?
    I say, don't pick a guitar you wouldn't want to show in public without being proud of it.

Anyways, I've got a Fender Strat 50s Style. Needs repairs at the nut. I broke it when I changed to a heavier string gauge and rocked too hard, or something. O_o
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Huoliuhi

Good health

bump up ..

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know ZantetsukeN's Avatar
    Quick question:

How do people feel about BC Rich Guitars? I've heard they're very good for metal, which would work cause I'm in a metal band, but I've also heard they are very heavy, which wouldn't be good for me. My style is like a mixture between Dir En Grey, Cancer Bats and Metallica rolled into one, played in drop C.

Banned Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know
    I use a BC Rich Warlock as well and for basses I like to use a Wal 4-string bass. Got an Ibanez Gio a while back, I use that every now and then. Havnt touched My Les Paul in about..2 months, lol.

The British Guy. Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know Robbo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know

I have to preform in around a week i have the song done but i have trouble playing standing up i have a strap although i usually learn sitting down and it feels like im having to learn strumming tech all over again just wondering if there is any thing i can do to be better at playing stood up. And for those wondering i have an Encore with a double pickup although i want a Gibson SG or Les paul
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin
    Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder
    Melibooyah says:
    Uggh bbl everyone is blowing me uo and I have to do my homework -_-
    Typo's change everything ^

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know ZantetsukeN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squall~Dissidia View Post
    I have to preform in around a week i have the song done but i have trouble playing standing up i have a strap although i usually learn sitting down and it feels like im having to learn strumming tech all over again just wondering if there is any thing i can do to be better at playing stood up. And for those wondering i have an Encore with a double pickup although i want a Gibson SG or Les paul
    One thing I would recommend is not having the strap too low. Have it at the level you would when you are sitting down. Like for example I play with the guitar just under my chest. If I took my own advice, I would adjust the strap while standing so it would be under my chest. Like you said, if you have a performance in a week, then this will do for that. Then, you will have all the time until your next one to learn to stand and play.

Hope I helped

As for getting a LP or SG, I would get SG. The shape works better for me, and they look better. As far as I know, they aren't that different in terms of sound. I have an SG at hope, and it is a great sounding, great to play guitar. I also have a LP replica guitar, which I don't like as much as my SG.
    Last edited by ZantetsukeN; 09-11-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Maridia

The best way to get good at playing while standing is to practice standing. It's like any sport you'll perform how you practice and if you do one thing a totally opposite way of how you do showtime it'll change things up. It's all about muscle memory.

I like it medium level. I say start there and see if you need to go up and down one bit at a time.

Boxer of the Galaxy Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know Rowan's Avatar

---
    Last edited by Rowan; 03-10-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZantetsukeN View Post
    Quick question:

How do people feel about BC Rich Guitars? I've heard they're very good for metal, which would work cause I'm in a metal band..
    they're great for metal because the look great for metal.
    like Starfighter said, 90% of your sound comes from effects, and 9% from your amp, the last 1% comes from the guitar.

On Strap hight; I don't think it really matters as long as you can reach everything you need to. It just comes down to how comfortable you are with the instrument.

I've been playing bass/guitar for about 11 years now. Haven't had an active band in about 6 though. Bass has been my main instrument. I only play 6 stringers, I think the 4s look dumb. I play it more like a guitar mostly playing melodies and solos, not really into sticking to 'basslines'.

Boxer of the Galaxy Guitar FAQ - everything you probably wanted to know Rowan's Avatar

---
    Last edited by Rowan; 03-10-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2