Thread: Best songs of the past year.

Blog Entries

Best songs of the past year.

Last year I started a thread asking everyone to make a list of all their favorite songs of the past decade; one that could fit on a disk. That seems like it was too scary/demanding for most, so this year, I simply ask that you list some of your favorite songs of this year, why, and maybe post a link to some or all of them. Particularly since I personally did not listen to enough new music this year really to make a full CD that I can feel proud of... Also, feel free to come back and add some more later if you remember them.

First off for me is Swingin' Utters - Brand New Lungs. This song just came out like this month, but I think it's already gonna stick with me. This is a band that's been around for a while, though I can't say I've listened to a lot of their stuff.

Second, I'll post the new Get Up Kids song, Your Petty Pretty Things. After breaking up in '05, I think it was, they're back. This is my favorite of theirs off their new EP Simple Science (maybe because I never sit down long enough to listen to the whole thing...) New album coming out the start of next year.

Third, I got LCD Soundsystem - Drunk Girls. This video is AWESOME.

So much so that I have to post it in the thread. ...this is the only song I really know on this album. I should give it another listen sometime. I remember a lot of the songs being really long and drawn out, though...

Fourth is Jimmy Eat World - Coffee and Cigarettes. Which I just posted in the "What song are you listening to now?" thread. Haven't listened to this album a lot either, but most of it I remember being pretty good. (Haven't listened to a lot of music lately... kinda sad. Used to listen to stuff all the time.)

Fifth, I got Black Sheep by Metric, which was on the Scott Pilgrim vs. the World soundtrack. This song inspired me to go out and get their latest album, actually... which I didn't care for as much as this song. Though I didn't give it a proper listen, again.

I just got the Seven Degrees of Stephen Egerton album, and this song (Never Again featuring Bill McShane, I think it is) stuck out to me the most, along with the Milo Aukerman song (because it's Milo, of course.) For those who don't know, Stephen Egerton was/is the guitarist for the Descendents and ALL, and I think maybe some other bands too. He's pretty awesome.

Last, I'll post Mumford and Son's The Cave. This song kept on playing on the alternative radio station out of Portland, and kind of reminded me of Barenaked Ladies for some reason (but obviously it isn't them.) Either way, I liked it a lot, and I found out my bro also likes them a lot. A lot of their other stuff is slower, though. I think I'd probably like the Abbott Brothers better.

That's all I'll post for now. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Best songs of the past year. ZantetsukeN's Avatar

Re: Best songs of the past year.

First one I would say is 'Dine, Dine My Darling' by Alkaline Trio. I am a long time Alkaline Trio fan, and I thought they had lost their form with 'Agony & Irony', but they surprised me with 'This Addiction', and this is the highlight of the album. Just a fun, upbeat, but somewhat dark song, which is what the band have always been about.

Next, 'Heartkiller' by HIM. I am a huge HIM fan, and I thought they hit their peak in 2004 with 'Love Metal'. They have been evolving since then, with a more pop driven album ('Dark Light'), then a Doom-tinged, very heavy album ('Venus Doom'). 'Screamworks...' is another venture into the new, with synth based songs, but maintaining a pop, and heavy-ish sound. 'Heartkiller' starts with an awesome synth-riff, and has an all-around fresh sound compared to a lot of the stuff I have heard this year.

The next one, while obviously not recorded this year, is 'Ain't No Grave' by Johnny Cash. This song literally gives me goosebumps. Like I said, since Johnny Cash died several years ago, this is a posthumous song. But it only saw light this year. As far as I know, it is his version of an old folk song. It is a very dark, and the lyrics are fitting to Cash, since the 'American Recordings' series, from I to VI, are like he is dying, from the lyrics and his vocals (obviously later recordings had a very rough, croaky vocal).

I'd like to second Telegraph by mentioning 'The Cave' by Mumford & Sons. I love this song. When I was working in a warehouse earlier this year, I spent my day waiting for this to come on on the radio. It has a really great sound to it. At the time I was into stuff like Bullet For My Valentine, 30 Seconds To Mars etc, so it wasn't exactly my taste then. But needless to say, I really love it.

Rounding my list off, my favourite song of the year, is 'The Catalyst' by Linkin Park. When this song was released, it raised a lot of eyebrows. Linkin Park had always been known for a heavy sound with rapping vocals. But they decided to go somewhere else with the album 'A Thousand Suns', but especially this song. It is electronically-based, gone are the LP that need a guitar as a base to make a great song. I am a massive, long-time fan of LP (since 2000's 'Hybrid Theory'), and I love this song. It may not sound like the band we had on the earlier albums, but I love their sound. It's different and refreshing.

So there you have it.
    Last edited by ZantetsukeN; 11-22-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Yanqui UXO Best songs of the past year. charliepanayi's Avatar

Robyn - Dancing on My Own
    YouTube - Robyn - Dancing On My Own

Pure pop brilliance, Robyn is streets ahead of most people in being able to deliver stuff like this.

Arcade Fire - The Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
    YouTube - Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) (Unstaged)

It's almost like Arcade Fire gone disco, and it works really well, caps off their album to great effect. They really should get Regine to sing on more songs.

Beach House - Norway
    YouTube - Beach House -- Norway

One of the best tracks off one of the year's best albums, it's a gorgeous affair.

Janelle Monae ft. Big Boi - Tightrope
    YouTube - Janelle Monáe (feat. Big Boi) TightRope Official Video

Her debut shows huge promise, and this is the best moment on it, funky as you can get, a true heir to Prince perhaps.

LCD Soundsystem - All I Want
    YouTube - LCD Soundsystem - All I want

It borrows somewhat from David Bowie, but the result it very much James Murphy's own, and it's a great companion piece to previous album's All My Friends
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Death Before Dishonor Best songs of the past year. Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have listened to quite a bit of music this year. I have five songs that I can call the best songs I have heard this past year.

First up is Eminem ft. Rihanna Love the Way you Lie. This was an excellent song that that brought together to different styles. It was a song that was on so many different levels. Eminem came hard this year with his album Recovery. It is possibly his best album thus far.

Second is H.I.M. Heartkiller. H.I.M. is possibly one of my favorite bands of all time, but to be honest I was not impressed with their Darklight album. It had some good tracks, but overall ehh. Because of that I was skeptical about their return, but it was great. I loved the whole album, A+ in my opinion.

Third is everyone's favorite summer song Katy Perry ft. Snoop Dogg California Girls. I dance, and rock out to this song every chance I get. It is a very catchy song, plus Katy Perry is so f*cking hot...

Fourth is Paramore's Only Exception. This song was absolutely amazing. This year is Paramore's year, the broke out of their shell with their album Brand New Eyes. It was by far their most successful so far. I greatly enjoy this song, and I don't really think it'll go away.

Fifth was B.o.B. ft. Rivers Cummo Magic. B.o.B. is by far one of the hottest MC's in today hiphop, and rap game. He exploded this year. The Adventure's of Bobby Ray was a huge album. I think his music will be around for quite sometime.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Registered User Best songs of the past year. darknesse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Glad to see, even listening to some of these has given me reason to go out and get some of it.

However, here goes my input, be warey, im new to this whole, url linking, so please feel free to correct me if common sence doesnt do it for me.

Firstly, i believe pendulum needs an appearence here. The song Watercolour off the album immersion, which came out mid-year i think has really changed my view on music, from being listening mainly at how i felt in relation to lyrics, to how the song just gerally makes you feel, which is the basis of most post-rock music.

Which leads me to number 2, although not specifically this year, the post-rock song, acend to oblivion, by God is an Astronaut. This genre of music i use a lot nowadays, generally to calm down my anxiety. It works really well, and is becoming a form of music i really enjoy.

Thirdly, something from one of my favorite bands, soilwork. I was sad to not see this played live this year, but off their new album, The akuma afterglow. Ive been listening for a few years now, and really love the band. Its one of the few albums ive found that is actually better than anything else theyve brought out, most others lately, like linkin park, have gone for the more.. mainstream audience, and really suck

I guess thats all from me.
    ~Blink your eyes just once and see everything in ruin

Embrace the night my friends

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Best songs of the past year. Xanatos's Avatar

2010 was a really poor year as far as music goes, for my taste of course. Still, there were few gems, such as We Are The Fallen, band similar to Evanescence according to many, criticized for the same reason, honestly I don't see why as founder Ben Moody, former founder of Evanescence, can't copy himself, can he.

Particular songs I would like to mention are I'm only One, a beautiful ballade, and Through Hell, nice Gothic Metal piece.

I've stumbled on few nice songs while playing PES 2011, Destine - In your Arms, Keane feat. K'Naan - Stop for a Minute and Shihad - Sleepeater, which were nice introduction to these artists.

I've also enjoyed the Inception Soundtrack, masterpiece created by Hans Zimmer, most noticeably Dream Is Collapsing, and 528491

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

The Minnutes- More to Love (target commercial)
    Anya Mariana-Vertigo
    Lady Gaga- Bad Romance

I don't listen to the radio much, and so most of the "new music" I hear comes from TV, or what I hear at work on the JCPenney satalite station.

topquality

I don't have much knowledge about the music but i think the songs of 3 idiot is good.