Thread: This Autotuning Bullshit

Blog Entries

This Autotuning Bullshit

So I've been forced to listen to the local top 40 pop station the last couple of days at work, and I couldn't help but notice how prolific autotuned voices were. What's up with that? Isn't that often a strong indicator that someone can't actually sing? I mean, it can be kind of fun in small doses in the right song-and those "accidental singer" videos and songs are kinda funny-but throughout the whole song? Really? And at one point, one autotuned voice at the end of one song was immediately followed by another autotuned voice at the beginning of another song, and I had to laugh.

I dunno. I guess there's a reason I don't listen to Top 40 Pop stations EVER. (Aside from the autotuning, we heard the same few songs several times in the night, and there was also a lot of rap, which I'm not fond of...) How about you guys? Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) This Autotuning Bullshit che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: This Autotuning Bullshit

It takes talent to have a good autotuned voice.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Registered User This Autotuning Bullshit

I think auto tune was alright at first, like back in the day when Cher was using it in that one song (I think it was "Believe" or something), and then Daft Punk came along and made it awesome (I mean auto tune, not Cher's song ). I think it works well in the techno music genre, and those parody videos with it are gold.

It is a bit ridiculous that nearly every pop song that plays on the radio seems to use that effect, and it is a bit like cheating if they use it for notes they just can't seem to reach in their songs. I hope this trend in the music industry dies out, or at least stops being used as much, because it makes the singers sound artificial and robotic to me.
    Last edited by Dodie16; 07-27-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Magically Delicous This Autotuning Bullshit Merlin's Avatar

What I hate most is singers who have awesome talent sinking to the level of using an autotuner to fit in, or whatever excuse they are using to do it. It was cool back in the day or for once in a blue moon, but not every so-called "popular" song. The shtick has turned into a fad that I wish would end. I honestly can't stand US pop music anymore for the most part. If I want to listen to pop, I'll pull out my 90's music or listen to foreign music.

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) This Autotuning Bullshit che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All jokes aside, I actually like the way auto-tune sounds. I used to not like it but since it became the new cool thing to hate autotune, I actually have looked at it from a different perspective and and open-to-change attitude, and it's grown on me.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Blog Entries

It's more on an individual case for me. There are certain artists that incorporate it into their music and it sounds great, like Daft Punk, T-Pain, etc. In the same token, some people can really make some music that tends to suck ass, and when I say this, 808's and Heartbreak comes to mind (Kanye West's most recent(?) album). Lil Wayne has also been a guilty person of experimenting with it, but he's also experimented with drinking cough syrup and trying to play a bass guitar in his songs so he gets a free fail pass. Akon tried it out too, and made a disgustingly good RnB album with a really nice dance/electronic feel, (Freedom) but at the same time he could of done just as well without it, imo. Anyways, using autotune for tracks is different for everyone, so I can't say I hate it or support it outright.

Maybe I'm just picky with my music, idk...
    Last edited by Rocky; 07-27-2010 at 05:18 PM.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Gingersnap This Autotuning Bullshit OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

T-PAIN!

I'm with Rocky on this one. Sometimes, it has its place and it works for a specific artist. Other times, it fills me with resentment because there are plenty of people who can actually sing quite well who get little to no recognition. It takes away a human element that is necessary for some songs to be effective and for me to care about what's being said.

So...
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Blog Entries

Yeah, I have to admit, when Daft Punk did it back in the early 2000's, I liked it (as well as a few other cases that I can't think of right now.) I just don't like how saturated pop music is with it now. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph View Post
    Yeah, I have to admit, when Daft Punk did it back in the early 2000's, I liked it (as well as a few other cases that I can't think of right now.) I just don't like how saturated pop music is with it now. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom
    Eh, I don't mind it, kinda makes the mainstream top 40 stuff all eurobeat/dance/electronica-ish, kinda like the late 80's-early 90's pop music. Those were the days! I hope to see it develop further then what it is right now with the experimenting of the electronic/pop music, and I think the autotune is a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by Rocky; 07-27-2010 at 05:38 PM.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

I want to play a game. This Autotuning Bullshit Zargabaath's Avatar

Yesterday I went with my friend to his recording studio (by "his" I mean the studio he goes to, not in any sense of ownership); a co-worker of his also came to record some short skits and a hook. The co-worker did his skits then he did his auto-tuned hook for is song "I'm a Freak" which my girlfriend laughed to as he was "performing"; it was pretty bad with "I'm a freak girl, We could do it every day of the weak girl" & "I'm not a minor, I'll stick my tongue in your v*g*n*".

It is just one case but it appears that too many people are jumping on the bandwagon making everybody copies and no individuals - excluding my friend. For when he got to recording his first song - "What it is" - rapped about how everybody his going commercial, going mainstream, and about the subject matter of mainstream rap: sex, drugs, and/or violence when most of them are bluffing. I mentioned that "What it is" was a diss track - to a degree - to his co-worker, who was still there when my friend was recording the song, since his song was of the explicit sexual nature.

Auto-tune should stay in Electronica with some exceptions every once in a while.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

This is just one of the several issues with the music industry in the US right now. I think it's completely ridiculous. All these young girls are autotuned to hell and back. I don't even keep track of music now because of the tomfoolery and shenanigans.

As said, some artists are great with it -- but the others should GTFO!