Conversation Between Walter Sobchak and Alpha

25 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. There is some kind of validity in the thread though.

I assume you do, though you won't admit it, remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news.

I don't want to decide if that is the 'correct' reaction. I just find that a fascinating phenomenon in itself.

As much as there is a whole raft of issues I'd like do have a reasoned discussion about, honestly, the Haitian earthquake did not have the same impact on me. Perhaps that's just some 'us' and 'them' dichotomy we are expected to toe, and it does not mean that I was not moved at all by what occurred, or that I am disinterested in the resolution. But to be truthful, I do not remember where I was, or what I was doing when I heard about the earthquake. I suspect you are the same.

Perhaps, alternatively, it is more of the specific type of images 9/11 conjures. The breakdown of invulnerability. The physical distortion of real power. Such an event 'doesn't occur' there; as Mary Douglas would perhaps suggest, 9/11 was 'matter out of place'.
  2. The responses thus far only validate my thesis. They might as well have said that an American life is worth 100 times more than a Haitian one.

People only get angry when their pre-conceived notions of the world are challenged, and if I can help these people, I shall try.
  3. Yeah the length was a bit excessive. I think Jackson felt he had to stay true to the book (meaning that he had to include aspects that weren't necessary or sensible for a film). But I wouldn't know, because I haven't read the book. I don't read fantasy.

Yeah I got that impression when I saw them live on Friday. They were playing immediately before Muse, and the only people around me that were singing along were the guy I went with, and some guy who was really high on god-knows-what, and myself (obviously). Everyone else seemed sort of impatient, waiting for Muse, who I felt were quite disappointing.

I just love Cedric's voice, and I was also quite taken away by how he uses his microphone like an instrument in itself. So many twirls of his cord, which was a very bright white, so you could see all of the detail.
  4. The hype is what kept me away for so long.

I thought there was a good three hour movie within the nine hours and change of the trilogy. The acting is wooden but the visuals are occasionally interesting.

Also, it is nice to see Cedric on your avatar. Some people incorrectly dislike the band, and I am glad you are correct.
  5. Wow, the first time? Despite all the hype/awards it attracted? Why did you hold out? And what did you think?

Yeah, 19.
  6. Actually, it was my first time. I never had the stomach for fantasy that was not Star Wars.

11 years old? So, you are what, 19-20? I feel old.
  7. I'm going to assume that it's not the first time you've seen them. I remember the first time I saw them. I fell asleep in every one of them, in the cinema, because we always seemed to go at a really absurd hour for an 11, 12 and 13 year old.

Rivendell was the closest set to where I live.
  8. I just finished watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy. To my understanding, it was filmed in your land. How do you, personally, deal with Orcs?
  9. Damn you.
  10. Wait, Mars Volta! Right? I actually figured out one of these things. I'm seeing these guys live in two weeks, along with Kasabian and Muse. Can't wait.

And I 'Googled' the sadness line. I think it relates to Where The Wild Things Are, which I aim to see in a few days.

Amiright?
  11. Not in real countries, it isn't.
  12. 'Realise' is spelt with an 's'.
  13. Maybe one day you will stop and realize that the throne you serve is dead.
  14. Hmm... MMR vaccine?

Do you ever explain yourself?
  15. There is a venom in numerical lies.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 15 of 25
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast