Conversation Between Djinn and Taco-Calamitous

11 Visitor Messages

1. I knew it was gonna happen too, but I dunno... I think I was raised pretty soft/spoiled, and on top of that I have anxiety issues, so my self confidence went away pretty easily (but my stubbornness did not, I suppose.) A lot of the younger people say Basic was nothing. I'm like "Oh... okay," haha.

You're planning on being a lifer, right? Do you test for Corporal like you test for Staff Sergeant? Our Senior Airmen all tested this year, none of them made it. For two, it was their first time, but one dude has been in several years... kinda sucks for him. Personally right now, I don't really plan on staying in, so if I ever go up to test, I might not try that hard (I've also heard conflicting stories on whether you're allowed to turn down testing.) I mean, things could change and I might end up liking it, but it's been kinda rough, and I recently had a break up with a fiance-her being one of the main reasons I joined-so yeah... We'll see I guess.
  2. Yeah I just went through basic training with the mentality that every bollocking was somewhat planned, just to give us a kick up the ass just when we were settled haha.

I think it's probably equivalent to the 4th rank if your 5th rank is the first NCO one. We have less ranks I think, our first NCO is Corporal (4th rank)
  3. Heh. That had been my plan too. I tried to not get noticed, but I'd mess up a lot. Although by the later weeks when we had other instructors, they didn't notice me anymore for the most part, so that was good. Yeah, it's good for everyone to get yelled at for that reason, but I get irritated at my coworkers too for doing the shit, heh.

So is that like the 4th, 5th, or 6th rank or something? I'm at like the 3rd rank. You basically get to that rank really easily, heh. Usually people who are a rank below at this point did something. At the 5th rank is you become a Non-Commissioned Officer (Staff Sergeant.)

I hope that makes sense what I said, heh... I just woke up randomly and decided to check stuff. Leaving on a plane in a few hours so I figured I'd forget you messaged me if I didn't respond now
  4. Basic wasn't too bad for me, everyone thought I'd struggle being so quiet but the instructors didn't even know my name by the end of the course so my plan of not getting noticed worked a treat haha. Yeah I hate getting lectured for other people's mistakes but it works for most people since they're less likely to screw up if they get everyone in the shit!

Think our ranks work a bit different, I'm going for Corporal at the moment. Currently a Senior Tech though so can't complain!
  5. Oh man, Basic... that was not my favorite time. I was not good at anything we did, and I was one of the MTIs' favorite targets. I also watched as the brainwashing and the turning on each other was going on, but I was "the scrub" so I couldn't say anything. Everyone cheered for me for graduating though. It's a lot better for me now, since my job is more cerebral and less physical, and I show my maturity a lot. Gosh, those kids say and do stupid shit sometimes though... and then I get to be lectured with everyone else, heh.

So what rank are you then? Staff Sergeant or equivalent? Or maybe higher? Maybe you got Staff and Tech on your first try, heh.
  6. Sounds pretty similar to my experience haha, joined when I was 25 ish so was going through my basic training with a bunch of 18-20 year olds! Yeah it's always easier on the newer generations, I'm noticing it already and I've only done 5 years haha.
  7. I just joined last year. Took me forever to finally do it, heh... Now I get to be an A1C with a bunch of 20 year olds. Look around at them a lot and am like "..." Heh. And I dunno how you guys are treated, but they say it's a lot easier in the USAF for Airmen than it used to be. Which I just kinda go "That's cool" to, heh. Everything was always harder for the previous generation, after all.
  8. Yeah, that's a bit crazy. When did you join up mate? It's funny because all the RAF look at the USAF and think you guys get treated better than us, then I met a couple of USAF guys while I was over there and they were saying how well the RAF get treated haha.
  9. Heh. The two old Gen Gaming mods both joined their countries' respective Air Forces. You did long before me though.
  10. Haha thanks. Yeah, can always rely on good ol' tff for drama
  11. Welcome back. Not much has been going on since you've been gone. Except drama, heh.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 11 of 11