Conversation Between Kurt Zisa and Andromeda

2 Visitor Messages

1. Disgaea's likeness to Tactics ends with the concept of job based characters moving around a grid-based map with enemies laid out. As odd as it'll probably sound, next to Disgaea, FFT is shallow on a mechanics side. The games have progressively improved of the years to make them more friendly and less grind focused, but they are still very grind focused games. The main game can be beaten fairly easily without much grind, but any additional content will have you grinding out levels to 10,000 (9999 really, but close enough) and reincarnating to start the process over again. Sounds scary, but levels come pretty fast later in the game. But all weapons have a item world you can go inside to fight monsters and buff the weapon as well. And then there are the different things you can do on the battle field like picking up enemies or objects, throwing them, making towers of people stacked up and elemental tiles with different stats.

The Disgaea game is about zaniness and over the top numbers. Post-game you get damage into the millions or billions, same with your character stats as well. It's not going to be the same experience you get from FFT. As much as they are both tactics game, they are so different, it's not really worth considering them in the same group. You play Disgaea for a completely different reason than you play FFT. They're worth playing if they are the type of game you're looking for.
  2. Hi Andromeda, I just thought I'd ask you about Disgaea. I really like Final Fantasy Tactics and I was wondering how you would compair Disgaea to it. Are there parts that either game does better or worse, or are they pretty equal in terms of gameplay and story?

Thanks in advance, I'd really like to start branching out from Final Fantasy and SE when it comes to videogames, and to be able to play a straetgy rpg on a big screen sounds fantastic.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2