Conversation Between Kurt Zisa and Cyanist

43 Visitor Messages

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Rawr sorry for the late reply (again). I'm sad to report that nothing good came from my tinkering although I enjoyed taking it apart none the less. Thank's for the help though it was still worth a shot.

Working with cars used to be my passion up until about a year ago when, I don't really know what happened, I just lost it. I still love cars though, I worked on my old Toyota (It was gold ) but it had a problem with the CV Boot, which was a bit too much for me to work on alone, not to mention it would have cost more to repair than the car itself so it was scrapped . Maybe that's when I lost my passion. I've also got a 70's Honda motorbike in my garage that's in pieces because there's no room to work on it. I''ll get back to it someday though.

So what do you work on? I find it's still a fun a experience, no matter what skills you have.
  2. Yeah, okay. Sorry for the lengthy VM (I have too much time on my hands, I guess?) Looking forward to hearing about it. Don't get electrocuted, man.

Oh? I'm sure I included my car-passion in my profile somewhere... I'm not ultra learned though, for now I'm just an apprentice mechanic, but my master is truly skilled. He specializes in imports (I's so lucky XD)
    What kinda car you been working on?
  3. Wow thanks a lot! Good thing I have an old school ps2 lol. Now if you don't mind me, I'll just copy and paste that into Word so I can take it all in. I'm afraid it'll have to wait until the weekend before I can set aside the time to try and fix it but i'll let you know how large the damage is that I inflicted upon my poor console. Or if it's been fixed, of course. Lets hope it's the latter.

Also I should have realized you were into cars judging from how well you drew that Pontiac. I love to work around them if I get the chance to, although it's usually more than changing the oil and water, but I still have fun all the same.
  4. Here're some directions, (I hope you find them useful) this won't work on the slim-line version, of course:
    Unplug the system. Remove memory cards/controllers, etc. Turn the system over (make sure there aren't any disks in there first...) remove the 8 rubber thingies (a utility knife is good for that, but my fingernails suffice), use # 2 phillips screwdriver to remove the 8 screws. There is a 'void warranty' sticker on the back, but who cares, cut it, or carefully peel and preserve elsewhere (as is your wont. Whatever. It's tape.)
    Now CAREFULLY remove upper cover (the thing that says PS2 in blue writing) without breaking the ribbon wire (gathered lines of really delicate computer wire) that is connected to the eject and reset buttons (better safe than sorry) The ribbon wire is usually taped to the disc tray cover, (you can, if you want, carefully tear that tape off to give yourself some slack. You can also carefully pull the power/reset button out of the upper cover, but if you have space, it wont be necessary) You may now set the upper cover aside.
    This step will require that you keep your fingers away from the circuit-board bits (you could get electrocuted) Plug in the system (it sounds scarier than it is, how else would the techs do it?) and push the eject button. Unplug the unit for now.
    Next, use the mini screw-driver to remove the disc cover that says: "caution- laser radiation when open. Do not stare into the beam" Now that's off, turn it over and carefully pop out the white plastic ring with the magnet in the center and set the cover aside.
    You are now looking at the laser and mechanicals inside the PS2. (don't stare into the laser, okay?) If there's any dust in there, now would be a good time to wipe it off (70% rubbing alcohol is a nice cleaner, obviously, don't immerse the system in it) Q-tips help, too. Clean the rubber-coated base where the disk sits with alcohol on the end of a q-tip (dry it real quick). Be sure to clean the laser in like-fashion. Use a wet Q-tip on it for half a minute, then use a dry Q-tip, for half a minute.
    At the way back, you'll noticed there is a white plastic gear and a metal stay that holds the white gear on a certain tooth. Basically, you wanna mark where the gear originally sat with a black marker (or something) now turn the white plastic gear one to two teeth in either direction. First turn it clockwise, now stick a disc that didn't work previous in the disk tray.
    Place the white circle with the magnet in the center, on the center hole of the disk (it only goes on one way: in the same direction it faced before) and reconnect the plug (be careful or you'll get electrocuted, man) shove in the video cables, and one controller. Power on the unit. Push the 'on' button. The door will shut and the disk will spin. Make sure it doesn't fly off (which will happen if you put that magnet on upside down, silly) Now turn to your screen. If the disk works, hurray. If not, you'll find yourself in the browser/system config screen. Hit the triangle button. Go to the top "console" option. hit triangle again. Text will appear that says console diagnoses. Turn it on, press the 'O' button a couple times to get back to the browser/config screen. Enter browser. Reinsert disk and see if it loads the disk in the browser. If not, eject disk, power off unit and readjust the white gear. counter-clockwise this time. (if you hadn't guessed, the white gear adjusts the distance the laser is from the disk)
    Okay, I hope that helps. Oh, forgot to mention... Does your system ever say 'disk read error? that, too, can be fixed.
  5. Actually, according to my other brother, who has torn down and rebuilt the things countless times, if it makes ticky sounds, then the laser is too close to the disc. Do you feel up to taking it apart?

Hypothetically, yup.
  6. Argh sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner, the assignments seem to have caught up with me and now my laptop doesn't like it when I try to post here.

Yeah it makes that noise when it's trying to read a disk, so I can pretty much say it's dead. Which means I may finaly have to save up for a (pre-owned) ps3, yay for being up to date. Hypotheticly, if I was to send you a friend request, would you accept? Hypotheticly speaking, of course
  7. Confucius brothers say:
    If PS1 discs work, the problem is voltage. If PS1 games don't work than it probably has something to do with the laser's distance from the disc.
    It could just be as you say, that your motor is busted, to tell the difference, listen closely to the system. Does it make a slight ticky noise when you insert the disc? (as though it's trying to read it, then gives up?) if not, you're correct in assuming the thing's broken. In which case, I'm truly sympathetic for your loss. Sorry I couldn't help.
  8. I'm no expert, but I think the motor that spins the disc has burnt out because it still goes to the setup menu, as if there was no disc in the tray. Everything else works fine though, I'm pretty sure the part costs the same as a preowned ps2. What problems have your brothers had to fix in the past?
  9. I have no idea what you're talking about. Okay, maybe earlier on they're like that, but now they've grown up more, I'M the testing one. I make them get me stuff all the time. However, I'm a kind ruler, (since I had the misfortune to have older siblings as well), I know how it is, and don't mistreat them (too much).

Ah! So it wasn't your fault! Here I was thinking "slacker". (silly me)

I'm not sure you'll have to wait a whole year, I would very much like to do another one soon (I do so enjoy playing the big-shot)
    Thank you! Have you ever won any contests?
  10. Oh that's cool, I have two younger brothers who can be very testing at times. I guess that's what you get when you're the oldest lol.

Yeah I messed something up when I was saving my work and It got corrupted. The tutor had nothing to mark, so I failed. Hopefully i'll be able to fix things, come Thursday.

I'll be sure to enter next years competition, I'm pretty sure you're onto something with this year's one. Good luck with winning
  11. I...did think it odd that those things were open to other forum-members...

I'm great-ish. Just chilling with my brothers, as per usual.

Bummer on that resit, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Keep up the good work!
    And don't feel bad about that contest, maybe next time, eh? (less competition for me! Yay!)
  12. Is that not the reason we have Journals?

I'm doing fine, thank you, how are you? I've got to resit a computer test that I messed up on Thursday so I've been spending the past few days revising for it. I'm sad to say I wont be able to submit a drawing for your competition as I simply haven't had the time to sit down and come up with something. I'll be keeping an eye on the results though.
  13. Hello! So you've been perusing my recent journal entry! An excellent choice, sir, I do say

How are ya?
Showing Visitor Messages 31 to 43 of 43
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3