Conversation Between Cain Highwind and Clint

4 Visitor Messages

1. Your avatar matches the expression of that text so well. I read it in his voice too!

If anything, the show has a really interesting history

It's actually a decent all around show, nothing *really* amazing on it's own unlike some people who hype it as the best animated show this generation, it's just all around solid. MLP, like Barbie, has always been known as the most blatantly saccharine franchise with no redeemable qualities who's only purpose was to sell toys while subtly promoting somewhat of a backwards ideology of women (oooh rainbows and pretty dresses).

The new MLP has been getting so much attention and praise because it finally breaks down those old misconceptions and that wall between "frilly girly things" and "all the rough and tumble stuff that boys and SOMETIMES girls enjoy"

It's also part of an up and rising psychological movement called "Neo-Sincerity" where one can like something regardless of demographic or intended audience because they enjoy it, simple as that.

But anyway, aside from it being a decent show (again, when I've talked to other Adult friends about this, I've pointed out it's really not a lot different than stuff like classic Winnie the Pooh, Peanuts, and Disney shorts given maybe a bit more energy and modern attitude) there's the creative fanbase. It's a lot of fun to be a part of and watch.

The show's only been on for about a year, but there's already a ton of fan-made content whether it's "ponified" movie trailers, fan-animations, fan games, fan art, and TONS of catchy musical remixes. And yeah the little memes and "adult" macros/jokes that spawn from the fanbase can be fun as well. You'd be surprised how the well the show works when given a Mature spin.

Hell, "Derpy Hooves", the character in my avy and in that image was a little internet joke resulting from an animation glitch/error that eventually evolved into being an officially recognized character on the show.

Anyway, if that explanation prompted your curiosity enough to give it a watch (despite Hasbro starting to step up in keeping full episodes off Youtube, you can still find episodes there, pretty easily), I'd only advise you to avoid the 2-part pilot. While it introduces the characters well, the tone and plot really don't represent the series very well. "Lesson Zero" though, that one makes for a good "Yeah THIS is what we're watching. Not your mother's MLP" kind of example.
  2. My Little Pony? Hmm... I don't get it. Why does everybody fuss about that show? It's about ponies, and it's targeted audience is little girls.
  3. Hey, thanks for the awesome name change. I now officially have the most badass username on this forum.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4