Conversation Between Alpha and Pete

51 Visitor Messages

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Yknow, I never really got too into Bush. They've always just seemed to be way too overplayed... with the same 3 songs.
  2. For grunge: see Bush.
  3. Why thank you good sir. I don't feel any older, just a little hungover.
  4. Happy birthday (not so) young Pete!
  5. Haha, I'll take said points. I was actually listening to the Lemon Song a few minutes before I read your post, and it kind of dawned on me a few minutes after reading it.
  6. You win the 5 points!
  7. Sounds exactly like my (Catholic) school actually.
  8. Nah, we were presented with the creationism idea in a very loose way, mostly in religion class. Even the priest that would come in would tell us that just because the Bible stated the Earth was created in 7 days, God's idea of a "day" may in fact be millions of years. Ultimately, we were taught evolution by our science teachers ever since we were young. It was actually a pretty great learning environment, since we had religion in moderation and a real education.
  9. Did you get taught creationism in school? I'm 99% sure that there isn't one school in New Zealand that would even attempt that.
  10. Tell me about it man. I went to Catholic school up until college, and when we learned about the Scopes trial back in 5th grade, we were all like "wait, people don't believe in evolution?" 80 years ago, it could be understandable, today, it's inexcusable.
  11. Learning about the Scopes 'Monkey' Trial made my religious education class laugh. Not a science class, a religion class.

Creationism is philosophy, not science. It only adds to the perception that your country is stuck in the past, despite being the undisputed leader of the world. A strange mix.
  12. Yeah, we really do need to have a few more amendments. However, we really have bigger fish to fry. How can we have an intelligent debate on stem cell research when people are still fighting over evolution. Some people are STILL protesting this, 80something years after the Scopes Trial.

And if you call in the next 10 minutes, I'll make that 198 easy payments!
  13. I agree that America has many good features, and I have nothing against the liberties enshrined in the Constitution, but I think there are other liberties that Constitution-fundamentalists scream blue-bloody-murder at.

Infomercials are rad, they make the world seem so rosy (YES I DO want to lose 50kg in 10 days, and in 200 easy payments of $49.95 you sir, have got a deal!)
  14. Oh, absolutely.

In theory, America is one of the best countries, and in many aspects it still is. However, it certainly has a way of beating you down when it starts to seem like you're finally getting ahead. From what I've noticed, you have to be insanely motivated and willing to sacrifice your health (in a desk job!) in order to really start making money here.

And I noticed that I totally sounded like an info-mercial with that quote, haha.
  15. "On paper, they too CAN become as rich as the CEO, in time."

It's sort of a funny 'freedom' isn't it? Sure, you guys can do this, it's just made really really really hard for anybody without established wealth 'cuz we're bastards like that.

+Rep (although I can't yet)
Showing Visitor Messages 31 to 45 of 51
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast