Conversation Between Dan558 and Alpha

11 Visitor Messages

1. I don't want to get involved, but this may help understand OceanEye's position (not that I'm her mouth, by any means).

What is “slut-shaming”?

Short answer: Slut-shaming, also known as slut-bashing, is the idea of shaming and/or attacking a woman or a girl for being sexual, having one or more sexual partners, acknowledging sexual feelings, and/or acting on sexual feelings. Furthermore, it’s “about the implication that if a woman has sex that traditional society disapproves of, she should feel guilty and inferior”. It is damaging not only to the girls and women targeted, but to women in general an society as a whole.

Put in the most simple terms, slut-shaming happens when a person “publicly or privately [insults] a woman because she expressed her sexuality in a way that does not conform with patriarchal expectations for women”. It is enabled by the idea that a woman who carries the stigma of being a slut — ie. an “out-of-control, trampy female” — is “not worth knowing or caring about”.

Policing women via what’s considered “normal” and “acceptable” boundaries for female sexuality is not limited to sex and sexual activity. For instance, women who wear “provocative clothing” (or just photographed while having breasts) are subjected to slut-shaming. As are women who are sexually aggressive and/or unabashedly lay claim to their own sexuality.

[W]hen we use the word slut to describe a woman, it’s almost always understood as a dismissal of what she’s saying, what she’s doing, or even of her worth to the speaker as a person.

The above is just lifted from FAQ: What is “slut-shaming”? « Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog 'cause I'm lazy like that.

If you react angrily to this, you'll be acting disproportionately.
  2. The royal wedding is the most boring/useless thing the media has ever over-hyped to nauseating degrees
  3. I'd love them to disregard it, as it would prove me right.

Actually I may have set up the thread wrong. If you disagree with me, I'm right. If you agree with me, I'm right.

I'm sure there's someone perceptive enough to get beyond that, and I await them.
  4. Well in my past it isn't so evident I'm "self aware", It's a bad habit I'm trying to shake (still not sure if it will hold). Luckily disregard towards men as stated in your thread isn't a top issue for me but if I started there i would end up asking myself "why am I doing this", quit, then have to lose the nagging feeling that I lost to a bunch of nit-pickers who don't understand. Look at earlier in the bullying thread or some of the war threads and you'll see I just couldn't stop. I have to rid myself of the silly/frustrating habit. anyways just wanna say I'm rooting for that thread, hope people don't ironically disregard it as man rambling.
  5. Completely understandable. At least you're self-aware, whereas others will just continue measuring their e-peen.
  6. Nah that's the thing as well, I get too sensitive, consider past experiences and start to get rash when people don't understand. Then I just feel the need to defend my opinion too hard and it gets me far too frustrated for simply being a forum. Long story short, it's stress I don't need.
  7. Please do contribute. I try to micro-manage and self-regulate my threads by chastising those who decide do 'hate the player not the game'. Simply because I've been through that nit-picking so many times (and have been guilty of it myself). You'll get the same protection provided you play by the sensible rules

And thankees.
  8. Nice "Boys are stupid" thread, very sound reasoning on most parts I'm taking a break from "intellectual Discussion" area because I'm not very good at presenting my thoughts without holes for frustrating individuals to pick at so I don't think I'll post there but I agree with many parts of your thread mentioned. There is much men inequality but it is generally deemed unimportant these days considering so much focus on other issues.
  9. It's like a virus.
  10. yea i think he makes threads on purpose to evoke arguements. I've seen several discrepancies start in one thread and he will make a new one just to evoke more fighting I think.
  11. Nicely argued. I have a feeling we'd agree on a lot. Oh, and try not to get too involved in Locke's threads. They generally degenerate quickly, and then get replicated.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 11 of 11