Conversation Between Sinister and Alpha

34 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Are you going to stay around this time, Doc? (Please say yes please say yes please say yes)
  2. Climb back up off the edge of the earth already.
  3. From what little I've heard and understood, I believe it to be the US Treasury's license renewal/plan to print money. QE2 was the old one. But they increase the amount of paper money in circulation. It waters down the actual worth of the dollar because we don't have enough gold to cover them all. Normally this would keep the US dollar from collapsing, however, China has already stated that they will no longer buy any more of our debt if we begin a QE3. And if we don't, it's likely the dollar will collapse...so basically it's a plan to begin inflation. It's a dark omen, my friend. People are already predicting that it will collapse the dollar within the year.

-Sin
  4. What is the QE3 incident? I found this (The Federal Reserve Must Implement QE3, Says NIA | NetDirectBusiness), but am too lazy to read it.
  5. It is, really. You get all nervous and self-conscious over every word and point. I suppose that begets the sort of perfection they expect on Thesis docs. But it frustrates.

And agreed that is a far cry from what I've heard of Hard Paternalism. I just think that Libertarian is a funny word to throw around a concept like that...and potentially confusing. A lot of people in KY are Libertarian to their core and seeing it used in that context just kind of makes me scratch my head. Then again, this sort of thing is out and above my limits of knowledge. ^^; I never was too keen on socio-political economics...type thingies. lol

But good luck on your essay.
  6. Yeah, I'd imagine actually deciding what to write is half the battle.

Irony? Hmm, I don't think so. I will admit to leaning to one side, only because the libertarian argument just seems to be a big sign that says 'don't touch me'. However hard paternalists are simply arrogant. The libertarian paternalists already inhabit a middle ground. For instance, they're people who want to make you reach over a salad to get at the cake. You can still choose the cake (libertarian), but your 'systematic cognitive biases' are put into a more even balance when you see the salad first, and are thereby less inclined to choose instant gratification over your long-term health.

Simple application: is it really fair to put candy bars at the checkout, where you'll be standing, at your most hungry, for a not-too-short but not-too-long period of time? It's hard to say we're actually making a rational decision when we grab one.
  7. Well using your own opinion in papers can be dangerous, especially from the construction pov. I've seen people who feel too strongly about a subject completely botch a paper because they used more heart than head. But if you're undecided, that makes it better, imho. Maybe you can answer a question, did they include "Libertarian" in the term for irony's sake?

Also, my thesis was about wind pollination of Quercus vs the various grafting techniques required for other plants(such as Acer, Pyrus, Malus, etc...) and why this was developed in it's evolution. The Acer angle was supposed to be kind of a Botany of Desire standpoint, where we actually are compelled by the plant to propagate it and the symbiotic-esque relationship that forms.

It's rubbish though, and I scrapped it. Dunno what I'm writing now. =/
  8. What is (will) your thesis (be) on?

You know, I'm not too sure. I am quite convinced by behavioural economics, but to almost conclude that people aren't actually capable of rationality seems difficult. It will probably be balanced. Everything is easier with a balanced essay.

I rarely give my true opinions in class. I fool around as the Devil's advocate in tutorials. I can't help it; something about someone else holding my own opinion allows me to see logical and conceptual flaws that for some reason are never apparent in other situations.

I went through one paper with the lecturer using me as an example of a neo-liberal.
  9. Oh man, sorry bout the gf. That kinda sucks, good that you're over it though.

But yeah, Uni has been my home for a while now. Supposedly I'm supposed to be working on my thesis/dissertation sometime soon. Not feeling it, though.

I haven't been here since...ah well, since like late January, I guess.
    And Essay on Libertarian Paternalism? lol In favor of, against or neutral?
  10. This place IS like crack. Well, that or it's just a habit. I took it off my bookmarks in the hope I'd stop coming here so often, but it didn't work. Now all I have to do is type the letter t into my browser/search bar, and it assumes I want to come here :/

You haven't missed much, but I can't remember when I last saw you. Probably some new faces, probably nothing new in ID.

I've been busy with uni going back for the year. Currently writing 2011's first essay (on so-called libertarian paternalism). Other than that, I broke up with my girlfriend. Which felt horrible, then good, then immaterial.

I get the feeling you've been at university for ever. Is it strange that I wouldn't mind that?
  11. I'm back for now... idk y. Uni and relationships pulled me away for a while, but this place is like crack. Did I miss much? How've you been? Btw, thanks for the birthday PM...
  12. You're still about?
  13. Happy birthday! I hope everything is going well for you!
  14. No, I only understood you after I made the post. It was a result of having a perverted sense of humor still operating at 5:38 AM when my brain is in sleep mode.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 15 of 34
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast