Conversation Between Aerif and Unknown Entity

60 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Ahahaha. His reaction was priceless! But seriously, that's one interesting name. xD

2. For some reason I thought you'd appreciate this. There's a little bit of comedy gold in everything.
  3. Too right missy! Remember the second time it's out in the hall, the third is a trip to the headmaster's office, and on the fourth time... WE CALL YOUR PARENTS!!!

My primary school had a funny discipline system.
  4. Looks like I'm just going to have to go and sit in the naughty corner then. ;-;
  5. Wait... You're not going to do that???

Begging for likes is the essence of any social network! You have to do that or we will expel you from participation from further discussion on the forum. Seriously. Every time you like a sad picture, TFF will donate $1.00 to that cause. Honestly.
  6. Spelling out numbers is good anyway.

It's okay to like something though. I'm just not going to get all anal about figures and/or beg for them.
  7. Says she doesn't care about likes.

Has given four in the last twenty four hours.

As you can see I'm spelling out numbers to avoid this dreadful character limit.
  8. I think the main problem with 'equal opportunities' is that it's not actually 'equal'. Employers know that the likes of Polish and Eastern European workers will come to the UK to work stupidly long hours for minimum wage and somehow be able to live in cities despite their insignificant pay - whereas the people who have grown up in the UK see that as unfair living conditions (which it is), and even in cases where they'd be willing to do that sort of slog, may not be considered due to stereotypes.

I do have a great deal of admiration for Polish immigrants who come to the UK, since many of them come by bus to take awful positions. But it's almost disgusting that controversy such as 'must speak Polish' featuring in an job advert for ASDA a few years ago can exist. That pretty much confirms that they were favouring immigrants in that case. And on what grounds? Brits actually do apply for these jobs. I was one of them in the case of Amazon.

There are individuals that don't deserve jobs. But at the same time a lot of them don't deserve government support, but letting them starve to death and be homeless would be unethical. The thing is, you were on JSA for a while, I know Zoe was also on JSA and Heather (Govinda, remember her?) too. All three of you were actually deserving of a job but there were probably opportunities that you missed out on, because employers chose to employ some idiot who posts pictures of themselves 'wasted' on Facebook every Sunday morning.

Maybe employers don't try hard enough at the recruitment process?

Interestingly in Northern Ireland there's this whole additional layer of 'equal opportunities' that you may have seen if you've ever filled in an application form that is used everywhere in the UK, the whole 'Catholic/Protestant/Neither' checkboxes. In those cases, non-Christians have the better chance of getting jobs due to a cultural thing. And yet Northern Ireland is still considered part of 'tolerant' UK.

I think the European Union is an excellent idea in principle. It's just that it's very uneven. France gets some sort of subsidy for its agricultural section despite probably being the third richest country in the EU, London would've been the source of 80% of the proposed financial transaction tax, and Greece potentially manages to mess up the economy of the world. And Poland has all of these emigrants and no immigrants.
  9. Our store is like a corner shop compared with HMV. HMV is HUGE. You can get lost in that place too.

It's a sensitive subject in this country. When British people demand "British jobs for British people", we come across as really racist towards the rest of the world. I guess it depends how you go about it, although I do agree with it to some extent. People born here don't chose to be born here, and have that right to a job before a Polish woman. But if the Polish woman actually -wants- work, then... well...

...then I take another look at my country and think there's a lot of people not worthy of a job. If you can't work hard at school, what does that say about your career? So many people I knew at school flunked big time, dropped out and never tried to get back on track. There's so many people living on the dole because it suits them to do nothing. I was claiming JSA for a few months, and it could have been so simple for me to lie in my job seekers book every fortnight if I didn't want a job.

If anything, the equal opportunity should be better.
  10. SIXTY STAFF MEMBERS IN GAME?

**** it, I'm moving to London. There must be a job for me there (I do have a 'job' but it's only 3 hours a week). I just can't comprehend a GAME that big. Is it bigger than the Disney store or the HMV? They're really the only two shops I ended up in the last time I was in London.

Don't feel bad about saying the truth about KFC, for some reason when I ever I fill in a web application with them I get an instant rejection - probably because I'm declaring myself White - British, the one time I changed it to 'Prefer Not to Say' I made it a step further in the application process. Now this almost makes sense in London, but not in Glasgow, and especially not in Inverclyde - my High School was all white.

I know one person working in my local Burger King - he is as thick as dog shit and got into Uni through college where the final mark was dependent on a group project - he's also from Middle-Eastern descent. I just think there must be something going on behind the scenes with these fast food places taking on ethnic minorities - maybe they get a government grant or something?

Also my local Amazon warehouse hired a bunch of temp staff. All from Poland. They actually recruited them in Poland and bought them accommodation so they could be paidalmost nothingfor the privelage to work in the UK.

Now I'm not getting into the whole 'British jobs for British people', but I think there should maybe be some form of corporate responsibility to make sure that the locals have 'first dibs', it can't be any worse than internal recruitment can it?

11. What can I say? Some women... ><

I doubt we're bigger than Tesco. If you have a small GAME store near you, it could probably fill up 1/4 of our store. It's not a HUGE store, but I don't consider it tiny either. We have thirty members of permanent staff (might be lower at twenty-six now... I know of at least four/five who've left in the last month). As for temps, I was told they hired forty, but it seems a little smaller at around thirty. So we've got sixty members of staff give or take for a store that works fine with thirty (would have been amazing if we all had full time hours too). Full time for just over a month for everyone would have filled the need to hire THAT many temps.

Honestly? I don't know. I don't have a problem if someone doesn't know English - the problem is only with people who make no effort at all to learn or understand it if they plan on living or working here permanently or semi-permanently. The equal opportunity in some stores is disgusting - KFC, for example and pardon me saying, never have white people working in them (so that advert with the happy white guy showing how they prepare the chicken is inaccurate). The employees are always middle eastern/asian, and barely understand the orders you try to make there.
  12. Drip? Eeeeew....

That's what I took away from that.

I don't think I've ever been in your shop so I don't know how big it is, but it does seem like they've hired too many - 11+? I worked in Tesco last Christmas - and they only took on 10 people for the Christmas season, despite being large enough for 25 checkouts and 6 self-service checkouts on the ground floor. Also we got less than 8 hours of training, one of which was enough to license us to sell alcohol. Probably shouldn't tell the government.

Also as a Londoner maybe you could explain something to me? Why can't anybody speak English!? Everytime I've been in London I've always encountered shop staff with no language skills who can't understand my most clear accent, granted I'm Scottish, but when I listen to my own voice recorded (I hate that btw, it's a very high-octaved voice) I would struggle to describe it as a Scottish accent. Is the job pool tiny? Is it a big conspiracy? Do shops hire them so Boris doesn't look racist?

I actually enjoyed you're rant though, feel free to do rant at me anytime.
  13. They took on way too many in my opinion, and too much time was spent on selecting and training them. Some of them are really thick too - we have a girl who believes she'll find unicorns in South Africa. I honestly thought she was trolling me or some shit, but she really believes it. Quite a few sound as though they couldn't sell bread to a starving family, and some really do their best to **** up. And because there's so many, you can't really see who's the one messing up.

We have a girl helping David with delivery every morning who just about knows enough English to get by, she's timid as a mouse, and slow as hell. I've had the displeasure to work with her on delivery twice now. She constantly wants the knife in her hand, she wonders off now and then to sit down, complains when asks if she could do something, etc. David has complained and I have too, but "she's been employed for the very purpose of delivery" which is a weak reason not to do something about it in my opinion.

They've hired more guys, but the guys are, quite frankly, annoying. We have a loud-mouth football fan, a dipshit who doesn't know what a bin looks like, a chilled out skater boy, a miserable yuppy, and a young-teenager with no respect for elders. There's only three guys I like who actually work hard, but I bet they won't be taken on afterwards. As for the girls? The only temp girl who knows her stuff as well as me has a tough time covering her boobs, flirting, knows (again) just enough English to get by, and bangs on about her studies in game design. Another temp girl hides out in the toilet so she doesn't have to muck in with the cleaning at the end of the day, and on THAT note, the girl's toilet is a filth packet now - I don't want to know what half their homes look like. Someone doesn't know how to flush, clean the seat if they drip (or wipe, if they can drip in the first place), someone doesn't know how to use the waste bin or replenish the toilet roll holder.

I have my favourites out of them, who really do work hard and know their stuff, but damn. If they'd employed less temps, and given everyone more hours (like the guys who only do 4-8hours a week), we'd have a better, dedicated team. They wouldn't have spent weeks training people up.

/rant
  14. Just read your journal entry. Surprised to learn that your shop took on a sizeable number of temps.

Was there a disproportionate number of attractive-girls-who-know-nothing-about-games hired, or did they just pick tossers with lots of 'experience'?

Or did GAME actually hire people who know what they're talking about? I know you do. Unfortunatley it seems temps never do.
  15. He he he.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 15 of 60
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast