Blog Comments

It is largely only a running gag for the first arc and even then, I don't carry it on too long. It is mostly fun whenever Ayumi introduces a new concept and Yuki renames under the pretense of Japanese makes it sound cooler and it being difficult to remember. Which was my little poke at the commonly used reply that everything sounds better in Japanese, even something very mundane can sound amazing in Japanese.
    I'm only speculating, but I'm guessing there will be a lot of arguments between Yuki and Ayumi about the name of their powers.

It was a good chapter. Not much I can say, but it's well-done
    Well, at least I got the being caught by surprise part right. In that case my reaction will obviously be different from what I mentioned. But I don't mind dark.
    Yuki's power going out of control will inherently be funny to watch. He does a lot of things that will be crazy because of it. There is a running gag for the first half of the arc I have at his expense because of it.

"Wham moments" are not things that are funny. "Wham moments" are when a twist hits that feels like a sledgehammer whacked you in the back of head sort of thing. They are generally very serious and usually major elements in a plot and signal a new direction. They often are dark in nature as well. The first arc has several of varying degrees of intensity.
    Well Shift was constructed differently. It is a story that takes itself seriously, up to a point. However, I made Yuki as a character that was way too genre savvy for his own good. Which means that he breaks the fourth wall a ton. You think I broke the fourth wall here in this time, that's nothing like what I do to it in Shift. I actually wrote a eulogy for the fourth wall in my comments a couple weeks back because I so utterly destroyed it. So in ways Shift is a comedy, it is meant to be a parody on Shounen Jump, but it is also a deconstruction. So it shifts because poking fun at Shounen Jump and bringing reality to it. But the more you read it Yuki brings most of the comedy, but the rest of the cast is not without their moments.
    It's only the beginning so I expect the process and whatever accidents happen in the way to have a touch of hilarity now and again.

Depends on my mood, but if it's funny then the least you can expect from me is a smile on my face. I'm at the point where I can only guess what happens next so they're most likely to catch me by surprise.
    Sailor Moon was a big thing back in the day, so it doesn't surprise me how many people were inspired by it.

And that first attempt was good. I guess the touch of hilarity carried on to Shift to some extent, huh?
    If the meaning of the title isn't immediately obvious, then there is likely some more subtle intention to it. They always have some significance on the content of the chapter. So yeah, it is a reference to the fairy. Though it is also a reference to Yuki's mood. He is excited about the power he has, but also very reluctant about it, especially after the accidents he has had with it so far.

It'll be interesting to see how you react to the "Wham moments".
    When I wrote it, I think Sailor Moon was largely the only magical girl series I had seen, I've since expanded my viewing. So everything I did was pretty much based off Sailor Moon, which did pretty much make most of the tropes used these days popular. So it is not without merit.

Well the surprising thing is that The Inner Man is my first real attempt at doing something very heavily based on a comedic situation. There is still a fair bit of drama and serious stuff, something that I prefer in my stories. I like something that can be fall on the floor hilarious one moment and then edge of your seat serious the next. Probably why I enjoy Full Metal Panic so much and Fullmetal Alchemist.
    Yeah, The Scarred Man is the other. I had considered actually giving him a name a few times, but I felt that he actually felt more imposing by you never actually knowing what his name is. He's not one to mince words much, as he is very action oriented. So there were never really times to do some proper introduction. It ends up being a little bit of a personal style, I tend to not like a lot of chatting during my fights, unless it is in character for them to be chatty.
    I'll say. Looking at your title now, all I can say is "poor fairy" x_x
    The Sailor Moon transformations came to mind when I read that, but I believe you mentioned that as well way back when I first started reading it.

Being a guy who enjoys laughter, I want to say you've always managed to bring a smile to my face whenever you tried your hand at comedy.
    The other being the scarred man, if I'm not mistaken.

I've said it before, I'll be right behind you if you ever write a second season.
    The fourth wall sort of doesn't exist after this episode was finished. It manages to get rebuilt later, but I did a lot of stuff to really break it into pieces. But this is where I took the whole magical girl thing to its natural conclusion. It too was only meant to be a little side joke, but ended up being more relevant as the story progressed from here. I enjoyed it too much to let it disappear after I brought it out with Kohana.
    You've already read it before. You should know where it is going. But regardless, the Doctor makes things entertaining. Especially, since he was considered a one off gag character missing a name. He ends up being the second person in the series never to be given a proper name.
    You broke the fourth wall o_o

I had forgotten about that, actually. I loved the scene at the bank ^^
    I love Kohana as well

Uh oh, doctor's at the end. I can see where this is gong
    That is correct, the sub-arc focuses on Saki for the most part. Though you learn somethings about Yuki as well.
    Yeah, I start play around with the notion of what happens when someone with an overactive imagination can't control his power. This won't be the last time strange things happen to him. I have quite a bit of fun with it.
    Ah, the ominous feeling in the end. Oh, it sure feels like next chapter will revolve around Saki this time. In any case, I can't wait for it.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast